Do Not Sell My Personal Information

avensis help

Finbar2015

i have a 2015 avensis d4d 80000miles, clutch peddle is way softer than my friends avensis of same year, is this anything to worry about???

Moved to the Avensis club.

Hi!

Maybe your friends avensis have more miles on it or a worn clutch. The pedal should be soft. Pedals over the time became sponjy or harder. Can also be one of the pumps. I wouldn't worry if the pedal is soft and everything is working normal

13 hours ago, doc_14 said:

Hi!

Maybe your friends avensis have more miles on it or a worn clutch. The pedal should be soft. Pedals over the time became sponjy or harder. Can also be one of the pumps. I wouldn't worry if the pedal is soft and everything is working normal

Yes maybe, there is no rattle or clutch slip on mine...

My T27 1.8 Valvematic '58 plate (2009) has a very light clutch. Even the brakes hardly need much force. The clutch was replaced 3 year ago and still feels great. By comparison other brand of cars need more force on the clutch and brakes. I was asked by a friend to check her Vauxhall Mokka 1.4 turbo, because the EML was on. I got the code and cleared it. Went for a drive and the clutch pedal needed a lot more force. Worse the brake pedal had travel and a lot shove! I had to be careful back in the Avensis. Can I add that the Mokka doing local journeys, is averaging 23 mpg. My Avensis is in the mid 30's!

Clutches can become heavier with long term use. This is normally due to work-hardening of the pressure-plate diaphragm spring. Eventually the spring can fracture. When that happens you can't release the clutch (had that happen to me on a very busy roundabout).  If your clutch starts to get very heavy then replace it. No good comes of ignoring it!

Cable-operated clutch may become stiff and heavy as the cable wears.

Rarely the release-bearing carrier may become tight on the guide tube.

Of course aftermarket clutches may have a slightly different spring-rate to OE.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Konrad C said:

My T27 1.8 Valvematic '58 plate (2009) has a very light clutch. Even the brakes hardly need much force. The clutch was replaced 3 year ago and still feels great. By comparison other brand of cars need more force on the clutch and brakes. I was asked by a friend to check her Vauxhall Mokka 1.4 turbo, because the EML was on. I got the code and cleared it. Went for a drive and the clutch pedal needed a lot more force. Worse the brake pedal had travel and a lot shove! I had to be careful back in the Avensis. Can I add that the Mokka doing local journeys, is averaging 23 mpg. My Avensis is in the mid 30's!

I should mention that the Mokka 2016 model, had full brake replacement front and rear, including brake fluid change within last couple of years!