Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Air conditioning fault Corolla HB 2020 ?

Luke717

Dealers don't carry big stocks of parts - they can usually get most parts the next day from either the importer or from the manufacturer's parts operation. Not all dealers do accident repairs, and certainly quite a few insurers are forcing their customers to use the insurer's repairers by charging additional excesses if the insurer's repairer isn't used.

• 3 weeks later...

Update September 5:

This little saga is finally moving along. I heard from the dealer on Thursday that they now have the part. It came from Japan, a little later than expected, but they have it. So we've booked the car in for the warranty work to be done on Sept 15, the earliest date that works for everyone and when they have a like-for-like courtesy car available for me.

In the meantime, I've been enjoying driving the Corolla. It really is a delight. Luckily no more heatwave for now so not having A/C at all hasn't really been much of an issue. Except a week or so ago when we had torrential rain for well over an hour, the kind of deluge that overwhelmed road drains very quickly and where some houses looked like Niagara Falls with rainwater cascading off the roofs where gutters were overwhelmed too. I happened to be out and about in it and when there's no A/C, demisting the car's windows is a major issue.

So here's hoping the warranty work corrects things and I can drive away with working A/C for the first time since taking delivery in June!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luke717 said:

Update September 5:

This little saga is finally moving along. I heard from the dealer on Thursday that they now have the part. It came from Japan, a little later than expected, but they have it. So we've booked the car in for the warranty work to be done on Sept 15, the earliest date that works for everyone and when they have a like-for-like courtesy car available for me.

In the meantime, I've been enjoying driving the Corolla. It really is a delight. Luckily no more heatwave for now so not having A/C at all hasn't really been much of an issue. Except a week or so ago when we had torrential rain for well over an hour, the kind of deluge that overwhelmed road drains very quickly and where some houses looked like Niagara Falls with rainwater cascading off the roofs where gutters were overwhelmed too. I happened to be out and about in it and when there's no A/C, demisting the car's windows is a major issue.

So here's hoping the warranty work corrects things and I can drive away with working A/C for the first time since taking delivery in June!

That will be good to get it sorted. As you say AC great in winter to clear the screen and moisture.

My AC is still not fixed on my Auris. Was meant to be done on the 28th of August after it failed on the 5th of August. Had a phone call 33 minutes prior to the appointment time to say the AC machine is broken and some part is missing. Was also going to have the Recall work done too. All cancelled and new appointment September the 29th for new condenser and recall.

Hope it happens this time!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update September 15:

Today my car was in to the dealer for the A/C repair under warranty. Work included removing the front end of the car to gain access to the location in the A/C system to replace the cracked pipe that's at the heart of the issue. They did that and re-gassed the system injecting 500g of gas. They also re-calibrated the front parking sensors due to being disconnected when removing the front.

All seems to be fine! A/C working and delivering very cold air. Let's see how things go with this over the next week or so. Pleased with dealer (Jemca Bracknell) and how they approached this problem and addressed it. Washed and polished the car as well, nice unexpected extra.

Boy, it's good to have working air conditioning!

Btw, while they had my car for the day, they gave me a loaner, another Excel HB, this one a bronze bi-tone 1.8. Not enamoured with that colour! It was an early 69 plate so a '19 model. I could note at first hand that Android Auto isn't supported in this model year. Also noted the wimpy-sounding horn that I've seen others talking about in this forum. Toyota fixed that in the '20 model as the horn in my car is way more loudly aggressive sounding. Noted a few small differences in the digital dashboard with some icons positioned differently to the '20 model. The half-leather seats are simply outclassed by the full leather ones in my '20 model. Otherwise, the driving experience was as excellent as my own car.

Pretty neat car this Corolla!

• Like 1

Thanks for the update, and I'm really pleased they have sorted it for you. A/C is something you really miss once you have been used to it.

Thanks for the update. Glad you got it sorted. Nice cold air, is lovely as well as doing a good job of demisting in winter!

I may cancel my appointment for my AC fix until a week later, I'll see, as finishing off a big job.

My first car with AC was in 2007 when we bought a brand new Corolla when living in France. 10 years without after in my daily driver 1989 Volvo 240. 1996 Volvo 940 AC lasted 5 months, used compressor, new condenser before leaked again, so not working currently. Also had  a  2006 Lexus IS 220D after new condenser working great, soon scrapped as head gasket went. Got 18 months use out of the car.

2015 Toyota Auris. Worked for 6 months then condenser leaking. Going to be fixed under warranty. Hope they have the parts soon.

I don't have much luck with AC in cars!

James.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Alexissims86 said:

Has anyone had their ac go out on a 2020 Corolla?

Yes, few guys already had issue plus another member in a brand new car out of the showroom no ac at all. Quality of parts and workmanship these days it’s not as good as ever, dealer service and warranty claims also not an easy and smooth, you have to fight for your rights . 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 3:20 AM, Alexissims86 said:

Has anyone had their ac go out on a 2020 Corolla?

I have a persistent issue, with a slow leak on a 2020 TS , just had it's second re-gas, not 2 yrs old yet

I asked the dealer to actually investigate why a fill was only lasting 9 months, on collecting the car and asking 'did you find a fault', I got 'oh, just re-gassed it'.

Lovely staff , but utterly useless local dealership,  certainly not a patch on volvo's.

Totally pointless 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, TonyHSD said:

Yes, few guys already had issue plus another member in a brand new car out of the showroom no ac at all. Quality of parts and workmanship these days it’s not as good as ever, dealer service and warranty claims also not an easy and smooth, you have to fight for your rights . 

I don't know if it's representative of the local dealers or systemic, but the service desk don't seem to have a clue about the cars, or any interest in them.

A massive culture shock for me, after having 8yrs of company provided Volvos.

With their dealership,  the majority of staff knew every little quirk, past recall and detail, of their current range.

If I made even the most bizarre request,  I always got an accurate update on collection. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links