Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Service

MaryG

Hi when do I have to have my first service, I have not been contacted by Toyota and I’m nearly at 20,000 miles? I’ve been taking it to them regularly for Summer and Winter checks, but they haven’t contacted me to book its first service. Can some one help me? 

Services are due every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. How long have you had the car - bought new or used?

• Thanks 1

Hi Frostyballs,

I’ve had the car nearly 3 years and I’ve done 19,900 miles. It’s had a summer and winter check every year! No problems. 

I normally do mine every 12 month but then it also depends on your driving if you do motor, City or both

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

l'm sorry about this, Mary but the onus is on you.

When your car gets to 12 months old or 10,000 miles......You contact them.

My Aygo is 8 years old and has done 41,000 miles and I have had four (yes 4) 40,000 mile services done by my very trusted independant garage.

I don't want to sound nasty but it's up to you to keep it maintained.

Yearly checks are not services and it is down to the owner to keep a full service history.

I hate to do this but book your car in for a service tomorrow and get your book stamped.

I'm really sorry about that but all the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Your car, at 20k miles, is due a full service, Mary. It should have had an oil/filter changed at 10k miles. Oil changes at prescribed times are very important, helping to give longevity of the engine and timing chain (if chain and not belt).

i agree with Neil (Agent Orange), the onus is on you to book the car in for service, though in my experience a good dealership will contact you - but that doesn’t absolve the owner from looking after their own investment.  Wall calendars and electronic calendars on phones etc can be very helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As others have said it needs a service, at the very least an oil & filter change. Is the car 3 years old or older? The service can be done at independent garages too which should be cheaper than at a dealer. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. My wrist is well and truly slapped!

But I have been buying my Toyota’s from this dealership for over 15 years and they have in the past always let me know when it was due for it’s service, they bothered to contact me twice a year for the check up, and I even inquired with the woman on reception about not hearing from them. Obviously standards have dropped. 
I have just taken it in this morning, for a service, nothing was said by the receptionist, I’ll let you know The outcome. 

Will you be paying for it?

• Confused 1

If you mean am I paying for the service? I imagine so? 

Did you get a service plan with your aygo?

• Thanks 1

Hi again, Mary,

As I said before, I didn't want to sound nasty and there was no wrist slapping intended. I have just had a look at my service book and I have nine stamps in it, as I said, four of those are 40,000 mile services and my Toyota dealer has never contacted me to remind me of any of them......To be honest the only time they got in touch was after two years of ownership when they rang to see if I wanted to swap the car.  My local dealer doesn't exactly inspire confidence with their customer service or car servicing and that's why I went to a local independant garage as soon as possible.

My biggest concern for you is that I worry for when you come to part exchange your car and the first thing that will be said is that it doesn't have a full service history as the first stamp is at 20,000 miles.  I don't think it will work but if you explain the misunderstanding to your dealer, they might give you a letter, explaining their side and practices that you can keep with your service records.

In saying that, don't worry or beat yourself up as you have acted quickly now that you know but please remember, as Joe (Catlover) says with some kind of memory jogger, to book it in again, next July.

All the best, Mary and happy motoring! :driving:

• Sad 1

Hi again, Mary,
As I said before, I didn't want to sound nasty and there was no wrist slapping intended. I have just had a look at my service book and I have nine stamps in it, as I said, four of those are 40,000 mile services and my Toyota dealer has never contacted me to remind me of any of them......To be honest the only time they got in touch was after two years of ownership when they rang to see if I wanted to swap the car.  My local dealer doesn't exactly inspire confidence with their customer service or car servicing and that's why I went to a local independant garage as soon as possible.
My biggest concern for you is that I worry for when you come to part exchange your car and the first thing that will be said is that it doesn't have a full service history as the first stamp is at 20,000 miles.  I don't think it will work but if you explain the misunderstanding to your dealer, they might give you a letter, explaining their side and practices that you can keep with your service records.
In saying that, don't worry or beat yourself up as you have acted quickly now that you know but please remember, as Joe (Catlover) says with some kind of memory jogger, to book it in again, next July.
All the best, Mary and happy motoring! driving.gif
I'm 4 years of my aygo toyota only want to call when they want to try to get you into a newer car or if on finance if you want to end of renewal on finance

• Sad 1

Thanks again everyone.

I just got sent a video message from the garage, this is new to me and such a good idea, he explained everything. Apparently it’s a good job I took it in today as the mechanic gave it a Health check and discovered my passenger side front wheel was damaged and the tyre bulging out on both sides (dam those pot holes) dangerous and would not pass the MOT. I phoned him and he was really helpful, he’s done the service and is keeping it in overnight to fit a new wheel. 
I will keep the car until it drops, as I LOVE IT, the best car I’ve ever had. Toyotas are the best. My husband has a Land Cruiser which is 23 years old and still runs like a dream. The only problem is it’s diesel, so he will have to change it eventually for something more eco friendly. 
Also I didn’t know you could take out a service package? 

Thanks again everyone.
I just got sent a video message from the garage, this is new to me and such a good idea, he explained everything. Apparently it’s a good job I took it in today as the mechanic gave it a Health check and discovered my passenger side front wheel was damaged and the tyre bulging out on both sides (dam those pot holes) dangerous and would not pass the MOT. I phoned him and he was really helpful, he’s done the service and is keeping it in overnight to fit a new wheel. 
I will keep the car until it drops, as I LOVE IT, the best car I’ve ever had. Toyotas are the best. My husband has a Land Cruiser which is 23 years old and still runs like a dream. The only problem is it’s diesel, so he will have to change it eventually for something more eco friendly. 
Also I didn’t know you could take out a service package? 
Service plan is 3 years but you pay monthly like £20 per month and all 3 services are paid for but doesn't include tyres

• Thanks 1

Don't buy a Service Plan, it's a rip off. Go to a local indie garage with some kind of good reputation. insist they change ALL the cars filters, including cabin and fuel filters, toyota don't even check them on a 20,000 service...They cost a couple of quid..Brake disks and pads fail around 15,000 get them changed with non toyota parts..Your MOT is nearly due, why not get the MOT and service done at the same time?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MaryG said:

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. My wrist is well and truly slapped!

But I have been buying my Toyota’s from this dealership for over 15 years and they have in the past always let me know when it was due for it’s service, they bothered to contact me twice a year for the check up, and I even inquired with the woman on reception about not hearing from them. Obviously standards have dropped. 
I have just taken it in this morning, for a service, nothing was said by the receptionist, I’ll let you know The outcome. 

I'm contacted, but it might be because I'm on a service plan. I'm usually way ahead of them anyway as I book at least a month in advance.

38 minutes ago, TotallyToto said:

Don't buy a Service Plan, it's a rip off. Go to a local indie garage with some kind of good reputation. insist they change ALL the cars filters, including cabin and fuel filters, toyota don't even check them on a 20,000 service...They cost a couple of quid..Brake disks and pads fail around 15,000 get them changed with non toyota parts..Your MOT is nearly due, why not get the MOT and service done at the same time?

I like my service plan, yes I'm paying some interest, but it gives me peace of mind knowing its paid, so I just need to drop off the car and its done. I cannot use non toyota garages or parts as I've got a warranty on my 20 plate Aygo.

• Like 1

I not got a service plan but my Toyota dealer contacts me re service and then again at MOT time, same with the wife’s Auris. Even with lockdown we were contacted re our services, booked in and a courtesy car provided.

To those encouraging get your Toyota serviced by a local garage, that’s fine BUT if the car is still under warranty that “local garage” you use has to be VAT registered and you, the owner, has to be able to prove to Toyota in the event of a warranty claim that parts used meet Toyota standards. Other manufacturers will stipulate similar terms.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, TotallyToto said:

Do you work for Toyota?

Don't see where a member works has anything to do with taking out a service plan.

I've used service plans in the past, for other marques as well as Toyota, and for us it suits. Service plans fix your service costs at the time they are taken out, you can also build into the p!an additional items, and you have a set monthly cost over the term of the plan.

Using non-franchised garages for servicing during the new car warranty, puts the onus on the owner to prove the car has been correctly serviced should a warranty claim be made, which is dependent on correct servicing having been undertaken.

Also non-franchised garages cannot undertake warranty work or recalls.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 7/6/2020 at 5:26 PM, TotallyToto said:

Do you work for Toyota?

No, but it shouldn't make any difference as Frostyballs has mentioned, with regards to taking out a service plan.

• Confused 1

On 7/6/2020 at 4:34 PM, TotallyToto said:

Lots of people buy service plans for many reasons including 1) you can pay monthly 2) it’s usually cheaper then paying for services annually 3) you know you getting main dealer service 4) warranty is kept in tact.

My Prius and the wife’s Auris service books include an air filter inspection at 20,000 miles, and change the cabin filter at 20k. Of course you can ask the dealer to change them every 10k if you want. 

Filters only costing a couple quid, my search says even the cheapest cabin filter is about £8, but if you want a better quality charcoal filter you paying more.

And as for recommending an owner with a car still in warranty to “ go to a local indie garage with some kind of good reputation”. It’s ok to go to an indie garage for service whilst under warranty, but you forgot to add that the indie has to be VAT registered and in case of a warranty claim it is on the car owner to prove parts used meet Toyota standard. Other main car manufacturers will be the same.

You may have a grump against Toyota,  it when advising others what they should do, don’t forget the facts need to be right.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Picked my car up today. £120 for the service (not bad) but he only stamped the no 3 box in my service history book, so 1 & 2 empty boxes. Paid another £300 for fixing the damaged wheel and tyre. But at least my car is safe and running perfectly 😃 and remember to put a reminder in my phone for the next one! 

Thanks for all your comments x

• Like 2

Picked my car up today. £120 for the service (not bad) but he only stamped the no 3 box in my service history book, so 1 & 2 empty boxes. Paid another £300 for fixing the damaged wheel and tyre. But at least my car is safe and running perfectly [emoji2] and remember to put a reminder in my phone for the next one! 
Thanks for all your comments x
Don't take this personally Mary but what this

• Sad 2

Very likely thats your warranty gone to pot Mary - no up to date service recorded with Toyota (or an approved independent). Now it is important to keep them up to date to protect your investment (your car engine etc)

• Sad 1