Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 1.33tr sump replacement

Lozza108

Hi. I have been told that I need a new sump on my 2012 1.33tr Yaris as it is starting to corrode. Is it easy for me to replace and how much are they. Many thanks

Who told you the sump needs replacing? Does it leak any oil? Can you take a picture and post.

Some of the mk2's were alloy but I think it was just the 3 cylinder engines.

The "sump" on a 1NR-FE 1.33 Yaris is effectively the lower half of the block, it is a significant casing made of Aluminium alloy so corrosion would be very unusual especially corrosion so severe as to need a replacement.

The actual job is a big undertaking taking nearly 15 hours ( on a ramp with correct equipment ) and requires removal of the front sub-frame, front timing cover, transmission, etc, etc.

In all my Toyota years i have never seen a corroded one, nor one needing replacement.

1.33 YARIS BLOCK.PNG

It was the garage that I always take it for its service as I have a service plan with them. They said that the sump plug threads stripped when they took it out to change the oil and so they have put an oversize bolt in but as the sump is corroding it will need a new sump. A friend phoned them up about it and they said that it is an alloy sump. He suggested they heli coil the sump and they said that they don't do heli coil repairs because the kit is expensive and would probably never get used.

Did the same garage service the car previously?

iirc the sump bolt is M12 - saying the kit is too expensive is a cop-out, it takes a lot to corrode and cast alloy sump, if they are the ones that have serviced it, they have over tightened it - sounds like a Kwik Fit special

A genuine kit is £40-45 you can get a no name kit for £15, what is way cheaper than a sump + labour

iirc the sump nut is M12x1.25

10 hours ago, Lozza108 said:

It was the garage that I always take it for its service as I have a service plan with them. They said that the sump plug threads stripped when they took it out to change the oil and so they have put an oversize bolt in but as the sump is corroding it will need a new sump. A friend phoned them up about it and they said that it is an alloy sump. He suggested they heli coil the sump and they said that they don't do heli coil repairs because the kit is expensive and would probably never get used.

If they serviced the car last year then they caused the over tightening which resulted in the stripped thread so the cost to correct is theirs to cover, if the dealer can't helicoil they will need to get someone who can or replace the sump at their cost.

That's what I was alluding to in my last post.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links