Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Musty smell 2007 prius

lienb7701

Hello guys.

I think the previous owner had a leaking back door seal and never mentioned it. Could anyone recommend something to get rid of a musty smell? I've tried zoflora and air con cleaner but it keeps coming back like cheap Turkish after shave. I keep expecting a female mouse to show up any time soon and start smilinging at me... 😂

I suggest your aircon isn't working properly.

Good thing about aircon, is that you can have any temp you want, but the air is "conditioned" and is clean and dehumidified and all smells are removed.

Mick.

Depends where the smell is coming from, if from the boot of the car and especially from the HV Battery vent, then the rubber tubing around HV Battery is deterated and needs changing, smell is from the tubes not the fumes from the Battery. Google it, plenty of guides and not difficult, but takes time.

• Like 1

Thanks it’s only done 74000 but I’ll check the air con and the rubber seals around the Battery.

Have you lifted carpets to feel if the backing and under felt is damp?

Check in the boot. especially in the 12v Battery well, the MK2 can suffer a split in the rear seam either side of the roof, water enters and runs down into the rear boot wells, a musty smell is the first hint there is an issue, next will be warning lights as the water runs down a harness on the LHS corroding a plug and causing short circuits.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I will check all of these tomorrow. The smell seems stronger in the cabin TBH?

Just had a sniff of the HV vent and the smell seems stronger coming from inside that. Could the perished rubber smell like musty mould? It’s like a cross between TCP and Poundland rubber... 😂

try to search on priuschat forum. I have seen several forums regarding this. I had a smelly MK2 prius, but never got around to change the rubber tubes
this is a staring point:

link 1
link 2
actual rubber tubes on HV battery example

Thanks for this.  Any ideas where these things could be purchased please?

15 hours ago, Mick F said:

I suggest your aircon isn't working properly.

Good thing about aircon, is that you can have any temp you want, but the air is "conditioned" and is clean and dehumidified and all smells are removed.

Aircon only removes heat and moisture from the air, there's nothing there that will inherently remove odours unless the aircon itself is the source of the smell (e.g. bacteria forming on the evaporation coil). Some premium cars have additional components like ozone generators to keep the ventilation system clean, but not in the Prius.

My point is, that if the aircon doesn't work properly, or a previous owner didn't use it, the CAR will be smelly from the damp and condensation generally.

Aircon desiccates the interior and providing it's used every single time the car is used, everything will be dry .............. and not smell like a wet dog.

Mick.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I have put my nose to the rear Battery vent and can still smell this musty smell come from there. I have done a air conditioner system clean and sprayed the interior with Zoflora but the smell is still there. That is why it looking more and more like a rubber vent hose problem which seems to be common on the 2nd gen Prius.

When I did research a few years back, tubes were availible on eBay. Cannot remember what size, but information should be in one of the forums on priuschat.

Thanks. I would hoping there is a replacement out there that doesn’t sink. 👍

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

Aircon desiccates the interior and providing it's used every single time the car is used, everything will be dry .............. and not smell like a wet dog.

In my experience this is not the case. If there's substantial water ingress, especially from the rear of the car, the dehumidification ability of the aircon is insufficient to dry out the interior. For that you would get much better results with an actual dehumidifier.

• Like 1

OK, so what do I do to check if the aircon is working correctly? I done an error code check already and all that was flashing was 21? 

You'll need a thermometer, preferably one that can stick a few inches into one of the centre vents in the dashboard. Running it with recirc on, lowest temp, low fan speed for at least 10 minutes (preferably car in the shade) should give a temperature at the vent of somewhere around 4-7 degrees (maybe lower depending on ambient temperature).

OK thanks. 

Can I ask a completely different question. I am hearing a low humming/whirring (droning noise) around 30-32 mph coming from the front of the car. The person I bought the car off has had the two front hubs and bearings done Feb this year? Or could it be the michelin crossclimate tyres?  Anyone had this issue?

Edited by lienb7701
missing word

I'd associate wheel bearings with a constant noise that increases with wheel speed, and a lot of heat.

Wheel bearings issues tend to be one of them, rather than both or all of them at the same time. Going round a corner, the bearing that makes a drone, is the one on the outside of the bend as the weight leans on it.

Mick

Both Front Hubs and bearings done in Feb, so suspecting tyres. Noise stops over 32mph

Try changing the cabin filter behind the glove box.

I had the wet dog smell in my Gen 3 when I purchased the car.

I replaced the cabin filter and the smell disappeared.

HTH

• Like 1