Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Big leak from petrol tank

Dizzo

Just filled up my 2007 Prius - the petrol pump stopped automatically when nearly full as usual, then I waited for the level to subside a bit and continued filling at a slower rate. Then I noticed petrol flowing on the forecourt floor from underneath my car! Had a look and definitely pouring from under my car around the tank. Drove it home and now no more leaking. Where did it come from? Nothing on Google. I believe the fuel tank and the filler tube are one sealed unit, with the filling hole being the only opening.

Definitely not a "sealed unit" see pics, plenty of points that could be the cause,

##W20 Prius Fuel tank.PNG

I had this once with the Gen 3 I had, it was overflowing down the breather pipe on to the back wheel. After than I never did a "second click" fill just stopped at the first and it never happened again.

• Like 1

Many thanks to you both - I've had a look and there is a rubber pipe section to the breather pipe, and a chunk of it is missing! It looks like something's taken a bite out of it. It's secured at either end by hose clips, so will be a cinch to fix, but I will have to find a replacement hose from somewhere. My local garage won't do petrol tank repairs and no way am I using the main dealer again.
So thanks again - I was able to go straight to the pipe thanks to Devon Aygo's exploded diagram, and Kithmo's response pointed to the likely problem area.

Glad I posted!

• Like 1