Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris dodgy horn connector / wire

saints13579

Hi there,

I own a 2002 toyota yaris and I am having an issue with my horn.

The horn stopped working some time ago like a full on voice crack but for a car (embarrassing). Kind of like barny on helium.

Anyway, I replaced this with a new horn and all was fine for some time until it became intermittent.

Basically the horn would work if the cable/plug was at an angle and now no angle works.

So it seems maneuvering the cable during inspection and replacement has weakened the cable and would need replacing.

Ive contacted Toyota and advised a complete new wiring set was most likely the only option, but was discontinued and priced outrageously like 4 digits.. 

Ive noticed alot of people with issues with the horn and the single connector. Does anyone know if you can replace the single live connector plug and wire.

Maybe aftermarket horn is the better option, if so how would I do that without needing Toyota dodgy single connector? 

Please find attached photographs.

I look forward to your reply,

20180808_154426_compress15.jpg

20190928_170121_compress4.jpg

20190928_170126_compress9.jpg

20190928_170131_compress17.jpg

20180801_144418_compress89.jpg

Son had that on his 2001 Yaris

I cleaned the connectors with fine wetanddry paper , added dielectric grease and crimped together gently with pliers. Worked after that.

It's an old car pop down the breakers cut the plug and a bit of loom off and splice it in

or stick another horn on it with a spade connector, cut the cable back a 3-4cm and splice in a new bit of wire

Edit. just had a closer look at the pics thats a standard spade in a plug - pull the yellow lock out of the connector and you should be able to take it apart by pushing down the tag and clean up that crusty spade

6 3 spade.png

Once you get past the bulky plug it’s just a 1/4” spade terminal. Cut it off and crimp a new spade terminal onto the wire. Job done.

FWIW I have a 1/4” blade terminal plugged into my original plug running to the compressor for my air horn. If I ever need to I can restore the original electric horn just by putting the plug back onto the original horn.

1 hour ago, jonquirk said:

FWIW I have a 1/4” blade terminal plugged into my original plug running to the compressor for my air horn. If I ever need to I can restore the original electric horn just by putting the plug back onto the original horn.

I always drive an air horn compressor via a relay and a direct feed to the Battery via a large fuse. Have you seen the current drawn by a compressor at start up? I'm surprised feeding a compressor directly off the horn feed hasn't blown a fuse.

There is a relay for the existing horn already in place fed through a 15A fuse. No problems since I fitted the air horn in 2017.

It's Jap/euro so its metric - 6.3mm as in my above post

27 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It's Jap/euro so its metric - 6.3mm as in my above post

I’ll hold the hair, you split it. 1/4” is 6.35mm. Close enough in my opinion.

lol i know, but its the difference between it fitting the housing and it being a mare, AMP make the connectors (Now TE iirc)

UPDATE:

Hi everyone, thank you all for replying and giving your advice. 

After reading your advice I went to silverlake after noticing they recently had a yaris in. I snipped off their horn with a foot of wire and paid £7.

I wanted the horn to test against the newish one on the car incase the wire didn't fix the issue. 

Bought some crimp connectors (forgot the crimper tool so used pliers)

I tried the yellow tag inside the clip, that came out but the wire connector was jammed/corroded inside and it snapped off. 

So the one at the scrappy had a simple spade connector as mentioned and connected directly to the horn. So l the plastic connector is literally pointless and is just a housing for the wire. 

Back home and cut off some wire and placed new connector on and squashed down with pliers - didn't work. 

Tried twisting the scrapyard connector and wire to my current wire just to test if the horn works. Did not. 

I cut the wire further back and added a new connector and squashed extra hard with the pliers and I took my horn off and put the scrapyard horn on and connected my new connector to it and boom... The traditional yaris high but slightly old horn sound. 

So my replacement horn went bad and made it look like it was a wire issue (may have been aswell tbh) and a scrapyard horn fixed the issue. 

You guys were absolutely right and genuine legends for giving me your time. 

Thank you all and take care!