Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Aygo 2020 - a city car?

JulesP

Hi - I'm new to this!!

Have had a new Aygo for 10 days & having issues in traffic - having to rev car to stop it from stalling - it's crazy.

no issues on the open road - drives beautifully - but in the city it's hard work. Back to the garage next week to see if it's the car or me. If it's me I'm tempted to hand it back - in 30 years of driving have never experienced this, I've stalled the car more times in the past week than any other car in 30 year 😂

open to suggestions

Take it back to toyota

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Thanks - booked in for next week.

Hopeless for commuting as it stands, having to work too hard for a brand new car. Dealer told me it's often the situation with any Aygo - if it doesn't improve they can stick it

You could alway get a Obd2 adaptor and live data it that way you can say to them its not sitting at idle rpm

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Thank you although I have no idea what that means 😀

a new car should drive like a new car, not like an old nail that needs saving/revs constantly

lets give the service team a chance although not holding out much hope

What sort of speed and what gear are you in, have you downsized from a larger car ?

1.0 likes to rev and will bog down if in the wrong gear

The automatic is a lot better and doesn't use much more petrol than a manual, maybe swap to that instead? 

aww thanks all.

swapped a VW Up for the Aygo as I just use for daily commute. The Aygo just needs more work & is a pain to drive in a traffic jam.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

What sort of speed and what gear are you in, have you downsized from a larger car ?

1.0 likes to rev and will bog down if in the wrong gear

the issue is it doesn't rev, I have to give it gas gas gas to keep it going😀

It needs looking at that's for sure

With the clutch pushed in does the engine rev ? Will the engine rev freely in neutral ? Does the car slow down quickly on its own ?

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

It needs looking at that's for sure

With the clutch pushed in does the engine rev ? Will the engine rev freely in neutral ? Does the car slow down quickly on its own ?

no, engine isn't revving - think that's the issue. It ticks over in neutral so that's ok. I have to give it plenty to make it pull away & biting point is very high

I would take the air filter out, that's simple to do and see how it runs

Does the car idle smoothly ?

Just now, flash22 said:

I would take the air filter out, that's simple to do and see how it runs

Does the car idle smoothly ?

thanks, no idea how to do this - it's brand new so Toyota need to look at.

& no, the car does not idle smoothly.

really appreciate the input ☝️

You'll get used to it. I was the same when I changed to my Aygo from a diesel car. Had to rev hard to not stall it when pulling away. You get the 'feel' eventually. I now pull away ok without having to rev the nuts off it and it feels more relaxed. I've been driving since the '70s and driven all types of cars and never had any problems like this before. Toyota should 'soften' the clutch a bit with better damping.

Do not drive the car and get it towed/get the garage to collect it

11 minutes ago, Billyboy81 said:

You'll get used to it. I was the same when I changed to my Aygo from a diesel car. Had to rev hard to not stall it when pulling away. You get the 'feel' eventually. I now pull away ok without having to rev the nuts off it and it feels more relaxed. I've been driving since the '70s and driven all types of cars and never had any problems like this before. Toyota should 'soften' the clutch a bit with better damping.

Think this is exactly what is happening to me - driving a car unlike any other driven previously. The big issue is a "city" car should be a doddle to drive, not a test. 

If Toyota don't find anything then I'll consider if it's worth keeping, although financially it would cost me. Just feel Toyota should be more transparent - I followed the test drive route but I would recommend anyone to take it into a town/city situation - I did not do this.Wot an idiot 😣

It should drive like any other car abite its lower on power and missing a cylinder (only 3)

So let me get this right if you press the throttle the engine does not rev, it stays at idle ? As you inferred above

or

It does rev but just doesn't move ?

8 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It should drive like any other car abite its lower on power and missing a cylinder (only 3)

So let me get this right if you press the throttle the engine does not rev, it stays at idle ? As you inferred above

or

It does rev but just doesn't move ?

sorry, no - it idles then I have to give it revs to get moving - it's not a smooth operation & I end up revving & revving - clutch is way to high & therefore driving is jerky. Never expereienced anything like this before, & I drove a British Leyland Mini lol

Can you find all the gears ? is it like trying to pull away in 3rd gear ?

Just now, flash22 said:

Can you find all the gears ? is it like trying to pull away in 3rd gear ?

gears are fine but yes, it's a bit like pulling away in 2nd - you know you have to rev it more or it will stall. I think it's just a different car, which happens to be a bit naff for city driving - I'll get used to it, or get rid

So, when stationary, in neutral, hand brake on

1) does it idle at constant revs?  Or.  Is it erratic ie goes up a bit, goes down a bit?

2) if you press on the throttle slowly do the revs go up smoothly.

Just now, Catlover said:

So, when stationary, in neutral, hand brake on

1) does it idle at constant revs?  Or.  Is it erratic ie goes up a bit, goes down a bit?

2) if you press on the throttle slowly do the revs go up smoothly.

Hi 

1) Constant, low revs

2) No, revs do not go up smoothly

Get someone else to drive the car and see if they have the same problems, seems a bit odd, it could well be a mechanical issue

5 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Get someone else to drive the car and see if they have the same problems, seems a bit odd, it could well be a mechanical issue

yes thanks - got it booked into the dealers next week for them to look at

And thanks everyone, what a fab community!!😀😀😀