Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing belt or chain

Annie Looms

Hi, does anyone own an Avensis 05 diesel 2ltr.?

Im trying to find out if its belt or chain on it.

Thanks.

Moved to the Avensis club.

It depends on what engine it has, 1CD-FTV has a belt, 1AD-FTV is Chain drive both 2.0 diesels

I think the 5 speed version is a chain, the 6 speed in a belt (but I’m not certain)

On 7/10/2020 at 3:35 PM, alan333 said:

I think the 5 speed version is a chain, the 6 speed in a belt (but I’m not certain)

All later AD diesel engines are chain and have 6 speed gearboxes. The earlier CD diesel will have a belt and only 5 gears!
Alan you were nearly there, but you gave the easiest way to identify what engines you have. 👍 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Konrad C said:

All later AD diesel engines are chain and have 6 speed gearboxes. The earlier CD diesel will have a belt and only 5 gears!
Alan you were nearly there, but you gave the easiest way to identify what engines you have. 👍 

I think I'm the wrong way round then.  I thought the older engines had chains (pre 2006 ish?), and when they updated the engine and mated it to the new 6 speed box they went to belt driven.  I learn something new every day 🙂

• Like 1

2.0 d4d engine became chain in late 07 with 6 speed gearbox myself prefer the chain less maintenance but older timebelt 5 speed gearbox engine are good too

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links