Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris gas pedal question

T133712

So Ive just bought a 2016 5dr Petrol Yaris from Steven Eagell Romford. Is the gas pedal supposed to be so light? The dealer told me thats normal but it feels very over sensitive and i find myself revving very high when moving off. I used to drive a 2011 Corsa. Can anyone clarify? Thanks in advance.

It's possibly subjective in what some might describe as "light". Compared to a Bowden type cable system, i.e. a mechanical connection to the throttle, a drive by wire system will probably feel lighter. There's only a spring(or equivalent) to overcome and no other friction, e.g. cable. The accelerator pedal in my Yaris is light compared to some other cars I've owned.

1 minute ago, mrpj said:

It's possibly subjective in what some might describe as "light". Compared to a Bowden type cable system, i.e. a mechanical connection to the throttle, a drive by wire system will probably feel lighter. There's only a spring(or equivalent) to overcome and no other friction, e.g. cable. The accelerator pedal in my Yaris is light compared to some other cars I've owned.

So the car is fine?

The Corsa is drive by wire as are most fuel injected cars of the last 20 years or more, Vauxhall pedals are usually a bit stiffer due to the return spring and the pivot point

A lot of newer cars have much lighter throttles

It's a matter of getting use to the feel of the car tbh and adjusting your driving style, also the Toyota engines feel very different to drive imo they seem to rev more freely

• Like 2

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

The Corsa is drive by wire as are most fuel injected cars of the last 20 years or more, Vauxhall pedals are usually a bit stiffer due to the return spring and the pivot point

A lot of newer cars have much lighter throttles

It's a matter of getting use to the feel of the car tbh and adjusting your driving style, also the Toyota engines feel very different to drive imo they seem to rev more freely

I can second that, having test drive a 16 plate Vauxhall Mokka 1.4 Turbo, and compared to my '09 (58 plate) Avensis T27 Valvematic, the controlled are heavier.  I even thought the Mokka's brakes were faulty!  

I have owned 6 vauxhall's and driven a few more  the throttles have been firm, the 1.4 turbo is a bit thirsty around town but it does have the power when needed

22 hours ago, T133712 said:

So the car is fine?

Yes, mine is, as far as I am aware, in the 6.5 years of ownnership.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links