Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trouble getting insurance cover for corolla hybrid

Leo63

Hi my car insurance is due the end of this month and I have found the insurance company going to use.

But i did have problems getting quotes with some insurance companies the reply was we are unable to cover my Toyota Corolla 2 litre design Hatchback one insurance said it wasn't me it was the car but no reason given 

Anyone else had similar problems getting cover 

It’s due to the amount of cat theft claims on certain cars Like the Prius And Auris/Corolla - if you live in a high group postcode that doesn't help either

From back in Feb

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/feb/01/catalytic-converter-thefts-hybrid-car-insurance-toyota-prius

I had a problem when I first get my car because none of the companies knew that the model existed but this time around there was no difficulty.

I used Compare the Market which gave me 43 quotes, 10 of which were worth considering the rest being either more expensive or less coverage or both. I first did a lookup on this service before the car was registered. The lookup knew about the car, though, and gave me quotes. Once I had the reg number, the quotes become more accurate as it could quote on the precise model grade. And more expensive 😄

When I collected the car from the dealer, I took advantage of Toyota's 3-day free insurance. I also got a quote from Toyota. Super expensive - twice as much as the cheapest on Compare the Market.

Could have tried Toyota Owners Club insurance arranged by Adrian Flux.

Yes i tried Adrian Flux they wanted ove £600

I have got my renewal for £325 for the same cover as them 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luke717 said:

When I collected the car from the dealer, I took advantage of Toyota's 3-day free insurance. I also got a quote from Toyota. Super expensive - twice as much as the cheapest on Compare the Market.

Yup, I ended up with them for a year because I was running out of time to find cover. My current insurer had rejected me for an upgrade and Toyota seemed the only company prepared to cover me. Cost me nigh-on £500 and that was with maximum NCB and a 52 year old driver. Come renewal every other company was offering around £200 to £300 like they had for my Jazz. Toyota's offer was £480. I didn't even bother ringing them to discuss it. I guess their business model must work for them but I want nothing more to do with it.

• Like 1

I changed to Direct Line at end March, and they were £250 cheaper than Admiral who insured me last year. I also swapped my Commercial vehicle to Direct line and saved nearly £300. There may be cheaper on price comparison sites than that, but I have had Direct Line in the past, and they are easy to deal with.  They had no problem taking on the Corolla.

22 hours ago, Luke717 said:

Toyota were super cheap for my pensioner father - his policy with me added on as named was about £300 a year. Went to them for a quote just for me, on the same car garaged off road and they quoted me over £9000! That's for someone slightly over 40, no points and full no claims.

I've also ended up with Direct Line. Went to my normal insurer, they wanted well over a grand, Direct Line were half that and were cheaper than anything on the comparison sites. I suspect there's premium increases certainly from my old insurer due to the cat theft issue.

• Like 1

I have left Direct line after being with them 7 years they refused to reduce my renewal quote 2 years in a row, so much for customer retention - you get nothing for loyalty

Zero claims and full no claims

• Like 2

I've used and left Direct Line before for the same reason. Renewal went from £450 to £1050 with absolutely no changes. They knocked it back to the £450 when challenged. Next year went to £1200 and they refused to budge. So I moved insurers and got a similar price as the year before. Stayed with that company for 5+ years, until they quoted over a grand on the Auris.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Leo63 said:

Yes i tried Adrian Flux they wanted ove £600

I have got my renewal for £325 for the same cover as them 

Hi.

Sorry we couldn't offer a more competitive quotation but thanks for giving us a try.

Regards,

Dan.

Annually I use internet comparison sites and every year LV are always no 1 or 2, usually 1. They send me a written quote about 4 weeks before renewal, I go on the internet and get it £25-£50 cheaper for the same thing. I due to press the button tomorrow as it’s due next Tuesday but we “going away” Friday (cat sitting for our son while he holidays). I have had 3 claims in 54 years, 2 against the other diver, 1 against my own, which was with LV last November. Simply rubbed paintwork whilst reversing, no dents, but it cost a staggering £2900 for the 2 cars. Took my car in to the paint shop 9am one morning, picked it up 27 hours later. I expect the other car would be the same. Both of us would have had a hire car for that time. I was staggered when they told me the cost.

When I bought my Auris in January I took advantage of the Toyota 3 day drive home insurance.

Had a quote from Toyota Insurance. £650  Had 2 cars to insure and as already with Admiral, just paid the difference until renewal. Tried the comparison sites and only saved £20 so didn't bother. Cost was originally £1000 for both cars, but I got £100 back from them due to paying out less claims.

James. 

Don’t think is because of the catalytic converters thefts, these models are not a target, at least not yet, sounds more likely it’s something with the registration numbers and trim levels issues. I see some really good prices here people are paying, 10:years ago we were paying similar but since 2015 all prices went up and keep going up every year. At least we don’t pay tax., which is almost impossible if you buy a new car now. 

50 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Don’t think is because of the catalytic converters thefts, these models are not a target, at least not yet, sounds more likely it’s something with the registration numbers and trim levels issues. I see some really good prices here people are paying, 10:years ago we were paying similar but since 2015 all prices went up and keep going up every year. At least we don’t pay tax., which is almost impossible if you buy a new car now. 

Yes from 2015-16 my premium has increased each year. It has stabilized for the past 3 policies, but still more than in 2015 by £155.  My car is zero tax so that helps, while my friend has an old mx5 and said he have to pay 180 or 225 tax. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

At least we don’t pay tax., which is almost impossible if you buy a new car now. 

I'm a month the wrong side of the change. So £135 a year...

It is what it is...

• Like 1

However, although some may not be paying VED currently, that may change in the future. The March budget gave some information on how the Government may be looking at re-establishing a more formal link between VED and emissions, including the possibility of having a VED rate for cars which emit anything above zero emissions.

• Like 1

Yes, we also have billions and rising of COVID - 19 debt as a country. It will be pay back time for generations, so Vehicle tax will be an easy target. I wonder how long before the honeymoon period for EV's will last.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used the telmatics boxes installed by insurers to lower their payment?

Also, why use the three day drive home cover (other than it being free) when you can just sort annual insurance online in 10 mins?

Think the three day drive home cover is more convenient for dealers, as it enables them to complete the first registration process without having to wait on the customer to provide proof of insurance.

What's the first registration process?

If you need the number plate to get insurance how can the dealer wait for you to provide insurance first?

1 hour ago, HybridLover said:

Also, why use the three day drive home cover (other than it being free) when you can just sort annual insurance online in 10 mins?

I couldn't get online insurance at all for my new Corolla. None of them recognised the reg number and none of them allowed me to select '2019 Toyota Corolla'. In the end I had to go with the dealer package (which was expensive) because they were the only company who would insure the vehicle. Thankfully when I renewed this year there was no problem.

In the past when I've bought new cars, the dealer had an allocation of numbers to use when registering vehicles. Some dealers ask you to choose which number you want - for example when we bought two new Mazdas on the same day, I asked for and got consecutive numbers. On the day they register the car, which requires proof of insurance, its a straightforward computerised process.

• Thanks 1

So in that case you can’t use number plate to get your insurance on a new car because they wont be able to find it as it hasn’t been registered yet.

Haven’t bought a new car before so guessing you just tell insurer make and model, pay then hand that to the dealer so they can register car?