Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Trouble getting insurance cover for corolla hybrid

Leo63

5 minutes ago, HybridLover said:

So in that case you can’t use number plate to get your insurance on a new car because they wont be able to find it as it hasn’t been registered yet.

Haven’t bought a new car before so guessing you just tell insurer make and model, pay then hand that to the dealer so they can register car?

We haven't had any trouble in the past - 21 new cars to date - and we've insured the cars for use from the first registration date. For the last couple of cars (a Toyota and a Hyundai), the dealer has used the drive home insurance to register the car without us having to provide a copy of the insurance certificate.

10 hours ago, HybridLover said:

So in that case you can’t use number plate to get your insurance on a new car because they wont be able to find it as it hasn’t been registered yet.

Haven’t bought a new car before so guessing you just tell insurer make and model, pay then hand that to the dealer so they can register car?

You will know the registration a couple of days prior to picking the car up, the vehicle doesn't need to be insured first. So normally it's pretty simple - just notify your current insurer. Your reg number won't be recognised but you can usually select the make and model manually. The problem I had was that 'Corolla' was a new model so none of the online insurers knew about it. You couldn't select it from a drop down. My current insurer actually dropped me and refunded my remaining time.

In the end as I've said I was forced to go with the dealer's package because no-one else would cover me. And even then their insurer had to list the vehicle as a an 'Auris' which obviously concerned me. Thankfully by the time it came to renew my insurance all the companies recognised my reg number.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links