Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whining noise 2004 corolla

Shearerstewart

Hi, I have a 2004 1,6 petrol hatchback corolla. Recently my car has been making a whining noise whenever I get over 30mph. Checked the wheel bearing and they are ok. Thought it might be my flywheel but the noise doesn’t change when I disengage the clutch and put it in neutral. But disappears when I go below 30mph. Anyone know what this could be the cause? Or do I have to drive below 30mph until I get new car 😂😂

So you still get the whine when coasting in neutral. That doesn't leave much really, yes wheel bearings of course and also I think the differential in the gearbox which will always be spinning. I can't think of anything else really.

3 hours ago, Mooly said:

So you still get the whine when coasting in neutral. That doesn't leave much really, yes wheel bearings of course and also I think the differential in the gearbox which will always be spinning. I can't think of anything else really.

Yeah, it still does it when I’m coasting. Which made me think that it can’t be the gearbox. The gears are fine when changing. There is a slight shudder with the car when I am braking. Brakes are fine tho. All new Caliper last year

Although we call it a gearbox it is really a 'transaxle' which is a gearbox and differential combined. When you coast you are still spinning the differential, just like an old rear wheel drive car with a gearbox at the front and a diff on the rear axle. The diff spins with the wheels. 

Shudder when braking from speed suggests brake disc runout is excessive which is usually caused by warped discs or perhaps the disc not seated perfectly flat against the mounting flange. 

12 minutes ago, Mooly said:

Although we call it a gearbox it is really a 'transaxle' which is a gearbox and differential combined. When you coast you are still spinning the differential, just like an old rear wheel drive car with a gearbox at the front and a diff on the rear axle. The diff spins with the wheels. 

Shudder when braking from speed suggests brake disc runout is excessive which is usually caused by warped discs or perhaps the disc not seated perfectly flat against the mounting flange. 

Some people are saying that it could be the tyres? The two I have in the rear where made in 2008. Two front where new. No, the brakes should be fine. New claspers, new disc and pads in January