Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1CD-FTV throttle body

laserguidedhawk

Hi guys,

Quick question regarding the electric throttle body in my 2002 D4D avensis.

If you manually move the throttle plate when the car is off - should the throttle plate return to it's home position or stay where you leave it?

Every throttle plate I've ever seen, electric or otherwise will be snapped back to the closed position by the return spring when you move it manually.

Now the avensis is weird for a start because the spring is trying to return the throttle plate to the wide open position. But what really gets me is that if you move it by hand to half way between fully open and fully closed it will just sit there.

Everything is clean and free. If I remove the electric motor the return spring does it's job but it doesn't feel like there's anything wrong with the motor - there is a fair amount of resistance but it just feels like a permanent magnet motor with strong magnets.

• 2 years later...

On 7/13/2020 at 4:01 PM, laserguidedhawk said:

Hi guys,

Quick question regarding the electric throttle body in my 2002 D4D avensis.

If you manually move the throttle plate when the car is off - should the throttle plate return to it's home position or stay where you leave it?

Every throttle plate I've ever seen, electric or otherwise will be snapped back to the closed position by the return spring when you move it manually.

Now the avensis is weird for a start because the spring is trying to return the throttle plate to the wide open position. But what really gets me is that if you move it by hand to half way between fully open and fully closed it will just sit there.

Everything is clean and free. If I remove the electric motor the return spring does it's job but it doesn't feel like there's anything wrong with the motor - there is a fair amount of resistance but it just feels like a permanent magnet motor with strong magnets.

Hello.

I have the same doubt as you.

Did you ever figured out if the throttle plate show return to the initial position by itself just with the load of the spring????

Since the post creator isn't replying, does anyone knows the answer my question??

Best regards

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After a thorough cleaning I assembled the throttle body to the intake and watched it working and everything seems fine, so I assume that it's functioning correctly.

It's a bit different from other throttle bodies I worked but I guess it's just the way it is.

You can see it working in this video: 

Unfortunately the lack of power remains and I will have to do a bit more diagnostics to pinpoint it..

What does that throttle even do? Diesels don't use or need throttles to work...! I assume it's something to do with emissions...?

7 minutes ago, Cyker said:

What does that throttle even do? Diesels don't use or need throttles to work...! I assume it's something to do with emissions...?

From what I know, the throttle body in Diesel cars is mostly used for creating differences in pressure in the intake to help sucking the gases from the EGR, and also to have a smoother shut down.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 6:15 PM, omegaone83 said:

From what I know, the throttle body in Diesel cars is mostly used for creating differences in pressure in the intake to help sucking the gases from the EGR, and also to have a smoother shut down.

Correct. It promotes EGR and is used to stop the engine, which would rock about for some time without it.

Concerning your question: there is a weak spring in there to keep it in the open position. Over time, the throttle gets covered in exhaust soot and the gears powering it run dry. You should hear a "hissing" sound when shutting down the engine if that's the case.

If this bothers you (for whatever reason), you can remove the throttle elbow, clean the plate and lubricate the plastic gears with slicone grease. The throttle will then return to normal by itself. Do you need to do this? Not really.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links