Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius gen 2 2007 UK c0205, c1241, c1242, c1300

waqar_lionheart

Hi all,

I have been following this forum for the last 3 or 4 years as thats when I bought my first prius gen 2 2007 uk spec tspirit. The car has been amazing so far only needing the front two wheel bearings. The front left was replaced nearly 8 months ago. Yesterday doing about 20 mph just after coming off a motorway going around a round about, the car dash lights including check brakes, vsc and hand brake lights came on. Not the big triangle light. There was also a noticeable loss in braking power. Fortunately, no one was in front of me, i managed to pull over. I couldn't tolerate the beeping any longer so i turned off the car and turned it back on and as if by magic, the car was fine. I cautiously drove back the rest of the 20mins journey and had my mate Konrad C come out from the avensis club and read the codes. It came back with the following codes.

C0205 left front speed sensor signal malfunction
C1241 low Battery charge, faulty Battery, faulty charging system, power source circuit
C1242 faulty Battery, charging system, faulty master cylinder solenoid (skid control ecu)
C1300 faulty skid control ecu, skid control ecu harness is open or shorted, skid control ecu circuit poor electrical connection

I thank you in advance for your help. I have a couple of questions. If the front left speed sensor has gone bad, would it then throw the rest of the codes with it? Also i checked the battery in the car with a volt meter and it read 12.5 while the car was off. I didn't check it when the car was on.

I am anxiously awaiting your reply as we live in a village and rely on the car very much to get about.

Regards,

Waqar

How did Konrad read the codes?  There may be some relevant INF codes (or sub-codes) to be had.  Also, as you car was being driven at the time the C124x codes are not likely to be a bad Battery as you have indicated. This is because the inverter is powering the 12 V bus when the car is running.  So the question really is, why did the 12 V drop while running? (You can look at the freeze frame data to confirm this and there is also a myriad of other data points to look at from the time the codes set.)

I would check the function of the inverter coolant pump, check there is movement (resembling simmering water) in the inverter coolant reservoir.  When was the last time the inverter coolant was changed?

C0205 – Is it possible the speed sensor (or its attaching bolt) was damaged or has worked itself loose when/since the LF wheel bearing was changed?

I'd park the C1300 until the other two problem were solved, as this might just be a flow on from the speed sensor problem.

I hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

4 minutes ago, Joseph D said:

How did Konrad read the codes?  There may be some relevant INF codes (or sub-codes) to be had.  Also, as you car was being driven at the time the C124x codes are not likely to be a bad battery as you have indicated. This is because the inverter is powering the 12 V bus when the car is running.  So the question really is, why did the 12 V drop while running? (You can look at the freeze frame data to confirm this and there is also a myriad of other data points to look at from the time the codes set.)

I would check the function of the inverter coolant pump, check there is movement (resembling simmering water) in the inverter coolant reservoir.  When was the last time the inverter coolant was changed?

C0205 – Is it possible the speed sensor (or its attaching bolt) was damaged or has worked itself loose when/since the LF wheel bearing was changed?

I'd park the C1300 until the other two problem were solved, as this might just be a flow on from the speed sensor problem.

I hope that helps and let us know how you get on.

I have Techstream version 12 on an old netbook. I also used my Launch Creader VIII which can read ABS VSC codes. I recently updated it. I pulled the very same codes, showing the same description as the Techstream. I am still learning what the codes mean, because hybrids are a different beast. I advised Waqar to find a local Prius expert, because this is a little out of my depth. We decided not to erase the codes for now!
There are critical systems, plus the brakes being major, just cannot take chances. Add that some areas are high voltage, much more care is needed.
So far I have looked at the codes individually, and it seems there could have been a power glitch. The car returned to normal after shutting off, then restarting. The general solution is to check the connections and the earthing, making sure everything is secure. 
We did replace the front right wheel bear last year, and the left bearing back in 2016. 

We also replaced rear right spring that had broken, last year. We was careful to replace everything and check the security of every nut, bolt and connection.
It would be advisable to check them again. We didn't sped much time yesterday, due to Waqar working, and social distancing. I did help him get his Honda Jazz running, since it had been parked up. Just needs Battery replacing which was being delivered.  

Just to let you know, that Waqar has replaced his 2nd gen Prius with a 2012 3rd gen T-Spirit (never a cab/taxi), as he had lost faith with the old car. I don't blame him. He is pleased with the new car, so far.
With that news, it's safe to say this subject topic ends without resolution. 
I will pass by and check out Waqar's new ride. He has a cat shield in place too, being a victim of cat' theft on his previous car.

Happy motoring Waqar. 👍