Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen worries

PaulinhoT

As some of you know, I have a 1994 Carina E that I use as my daily car. Well just before the start of this month I managed to cracked the lower part of the front windscreen, bloody annoying to be honest. Well on the 1st I requested a new screen via the insurance due to the crack being big enough to require a new one.

Well my car is due to have it's replacement windscreen fitted on Friday, only one small problem, the company that are doing it via my insurance claim, haven't been able to get one in stock yet. Now given that the MOT is due on the 21st, thing may not go as required.

I do actually have a 6 months extension on the MOT due to CV19, but if my windscreen is cracked, then surely that makes it not road worthy ?

What I don't want to happen is for anyone to be able to find a replacement screen under the insurance.

Just to cover myself, anyone know of a company that sells windscreens for my car ? thanks.

A 'crack' *subject to location in screen is NOT an MOT fail.

The 'swept area' ( the ONLY bit you can see through if 2" of snow drops on you as you drive along, for an example) is MOT checked..... If the crack is 3foot long and entirely below/above the wiper swept area it is not flagged as a fail.

There is no structural issue/laminated won't explode in your face.

If it fails the MOT then you're stuck but not A DANGER otherwise 😉

2sav

• Like 1

Cheers John, I appreciate the input.

• Thanks 1

Well I had two phone calls today, one to say they found a screen, but it wasn't at the depot, and a second to say they have located it, and can fit it on the 31st of this month.

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To update this thread, the windscreen repair company failed to show up today, as they didn't have the rubber trim that goes around the glass.

So it's looking like next week, or so they say.

• Sad 1

Well, the windscreen was replaced yesterday afternoon, so far it looks okay, but I'll take a good look this morning as I'm off work today.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links