Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SatNav suggestions

DALINE40

I have recently purchased my first Toyota Yaris (2016 Hybrid Automatic) and though pleased to have SatNav have discovered that it has 2015 maps and that to update will cost me £275 per annum and the dealer will take about an hour to perform the update. As I already have a Garmin SatNav (with unlimited updates) it seems more sensible to use this though not so convenient with trailing wire etc.  One other possibility is to see if I can use Google Maps on my Samsung phone through the cars SatNav even if it means increasing my phones data to unlimited.

Has anyone any experience of successfully using Google Maps with Toyota SatNav and if so I would appreciate your comments. Thanks

Map updates for Touch 2 & Go can be purchased as:

An annual 1 off update for £169

A 3 year update for £239

this cab done at your dealer or at home yourself via registration @ MyToyota

Screen mirroring is not an option without changing the headunit for an aftermarket one

I repeat, my dealer stated to update will cost me £275 per annum.

I have recently purchased my first Toyota Yaris (2016 Hybrid Automatic) and though pleased to have SatNav have discovered that it has 2015 maps and that to update will cost me £275 per annum and the dealer will take about an hour to perform the update. As I already have a Garmin SatNav (with unlimited updates) it seems more sensible to use this though not so convenient with trailing wire etc.  One other possibility is to see if I can use Google Maps on my Samsung phone through the cars SatNav even if it means increasing my phones data to unlimited.
Has anyone any experience of successfully using Google Maps with Toyota SatNav and if so I would appreciate your comments. Thanks

Well, I have a 2016 Toyota Yaris Hybrid with the Toyota Touch & Go multimedia system.

(This is how it looks like)

https://www.autoreich24.de/fahrzeugbilder/106/192/561/no/toyota_yaris_1_0_l_r_ckfahrkam_navi_bluetooth_klimaautomatik.jpg

The satnav module was an option which the first buyer did not order. So when I press the satnav button, I get a message that the satnav module is not installed.

So I use the Google Maps App with my iPhone 6. The phone is attached to a phone holder on the windscreen. The sound of the iPhone is transmitted via bluetooth to the radio. This solution has some advantages:

* It is free.
* you can do the trip planning with your phone before you enter the car.
* the smartphone on top of the dashboard is more visible than the radio touchscreen.

I use my smartphone for streaming Spotify music and navigating with Google Maps. This works flawlessly. As soon as Google Maps announces something, the music fades away. However, this solution also has some glitches. I can hear the navigation system only when the radio is set to bluetooth mode. So if I choose to listen to a radio broadcast station, the navigation announcements remain silent.

Another thing which is really strange: As soon as I switch my radio on and set it to BT, it starts to playback music from the smartphone. If I do not want to listen to the music, I have to mute it by pressing the mode button in the steering wheel for two seconds. The Google maps announcements are played nevertheless. This only works with Google Maps. If I use Apple Maps instead, the Apple Maps voice is muted together with the Music.

Ah, another thing to mention: As soon as I touch the volume buttons, the music gets unmuted again.

Mobile internet traffic caused by Google Maps seems not to be that big. My data plan gives me 15 GB per month, and I rarely use more than 2.5 GB per month. My assumption is that one month with Google is less than 1GB. If you live in a big city and use your satnav mainly to get around there, you can also store the local area permanently on the phone. This helps reducing the data traffic.

There are other satnav apps available which allow for storing the map data of all of Europe on your phone. This makes the satnav system operational even when no internet connection is available.

If you think that it is important to have Google Maps on the screen of your radio, you need a new radio, and you may lose things like your remote control buttons in the steering wheel, the Toyota energy monitor and maybe the reverse parking camera. Or you pay a lot of money for aftermarket adapters.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank
  • Like 2

Best regards from Bavaria. Thank you Frank that was very helpful.

The touch 2 does support mirrorlink but it all depends on if your phone is compatible

Thank you those who have responded. I now have enough information so will turn off further notifications.

19 minutes ago, DALINE40 said:

I now have enough information so will turn off further notifications.

Topic locked