Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Quick question

TazUddin

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know am I able to split the USB slot on the dash? I use it to charge my Tom Tom and wanted to charge my phone too (I know its slow but its convenient for my job)

I've attached the item I'm looking at below. Also will it slow the charging down even more?

Many thanks

Screenshot_20200717-211420_eBay.jpg

Why not use the power USB in the arm rest!

2 hours ago, Sidrat said:

Why not use the power USB in the arm rest!

Because I'm asking in regards to the USB on the dash. The one in the arm rest will get in my way while I'm training students to drive as my phone is on a magnetic vent mount.

4 hours ago, TazUddin said:

Because I'm asking in regards to the USB on the dash. The one in the arm rest will get in my way while I'm training students to drive as my phone is on a magnetic vent mount.

Sorry, as it was not clear in the question as to why, only some do not realise there is a power one as well, the setup you are suggesting should work!

• Thanks 1

As long as Toyota have adhered to the USB standard (which they will have) any similarly designed USB accessory should work. The only issue you might find is with powered USB hubs. For data access it shouldn't matter since USB is designed to support multiple devices but for the OP's purpose they need to be aware that the power has to come from somewhere. Two devices charging will draw more power than a single device. If the hub is not itself powered then that draw is passed back to the car's USB socket. It's unlikely to damage anything but the rate of charging will likely be lower.

Put very crudely: One device on its own might charge twice as fast as two devices connected at the same time.

• Thanks 1

The USB is rated to 500ma so 1 device (that will slow charge a phone) use a 12v extension lead to get the power to where you need it tbh

• Thanks 1