Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Tyres - Pelas

flyphil

I shall be buying new front tyres soon. The old ones, Pirelli P1's are getting close to the wear bars. 

Tyres are so expensive now. I have been buying on line for a number of years and get them fitted balanced etc - usually costs £15/wheel these days. There are now dozens of tyre brands and all the budget ones are all Chinese manufactures. I really cannot afford the premium brands - a full set would cost about 20% of the cars value!

So I am looking to buy two tyres for about £40 each, delivered. With fitting, £55 each.

I have done a lot of research. Two brands which are not Chinese are : Kumho (South Korea) which have very good test results and B for fuel, B for grip. and Pelas (Turkey). The latter can be had for £37 each.

Has anyone any experience with Pelas tyres? They are designed in Germany but manufactured in Turkey. They have average performance figures.

Think they will be Petlas tyres. 

You'd rather fit less safe tyres because the car's value is depreciating?

Then again a secondary brand tyre isn't necessarily less safe than a premium brand, and what is known as a budget brand in the UK, may be a premium brand in some other countries.

For example makes such as Kumho and Hankook are premium tyres in some markets. Kumho supply VW (Polo in Europe), Audi, Mercedes and BMW as OE , and Hankook supply Ford for OE tyres for the Mondeo. Focus Active, Mustang, and various other American models etc.

• Like 1

I agree budget tyres are safe.Unlike putting part used tyres on any vehicle 

• Like 1

To clarify : I said less safe. No mention of unsafe. In the context of the original post it would appear the Turkish tyres have lesser performance than the existing Pirellis.

The contact patch of the tyres is the interface between the car and the road surface.

What size are the tyres? How much is the price difference? Kumho tyres are generally good and way better than cheap unknown tyres, I personally wouldn’t be happy with those Turkish rubber, even though they make Pirelli which also not to my taste even made in Italy or Germany . Check for Nexen , Hankook these are as good as premium tyres but cost just a bit more than the budget ones. 
Good luck with either one you choose 👍