Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing belt or chain.?

WalnutinUK

Having just ordered a new Hybrid 1.8 litre Corolla I am curious to know if it has a timing belt or a timing chain (as in my 2012 Auris).

Thank You.

Belts were phased out, by around 2005 on most petrol cars by many marques (but there's always an exception to that) you still find timing belts on some diesels

• Like 1

The Corolla has a timing chain 

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Belts were phased out, by around 2005 on most petrol cars by many marques (but there's always an exception to that) you still find timing belts on some diesels

VAG actually brought back the timing belt with the introduction of its MQB cars back in 2013->

According to the Toyota spec sheet, the 1.8 has engine code 2ZR-FXE (UK Spec and price list  attached)

I can only find an Aussie technical spec sheet that says this model has a timing chain.

http://australiancar.reviews/2ZR-FXE-engine.php#:~:text=The 2ZR-FXE engine had double overhead camshafts - made from,cover contained an oil jet.

The aspect that confuses me is the article keeps refering to the engine in past tense "Had" rather than "Has" so I hope this is the right information for you.

Corolla Prices Specification and Equipment_tcm-3060-1682338.pdf

All Toyota hybrids are timing chain driven, no need to worry about them service or replace, only important is to do regular services on time and with the correct oil grade and quality filters. That’s all. 👍

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Timmon said:

According to the Toyota spec sheet, the 1.8 has engine code 2ZR-FXE (UK Spec and price list  attached)

I can only find an Aussie technical spec sheet that says this model has a timing chain.

http://australiancar.reviews/2ZR-FXE-engine.php#:~:text=The 2ZR-FXE engine had double overhead camshafts - made from,cover contained an oil jet.

The aspect that confuses me is the article keeps refering to the engine in past tense "Had" rather than "Has" so I hope this is the right information for you

2ZR-FXE has been around for 6-7 years over time the engines get changed to meet the latest emissions standards and are adapted for each market

https://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1589988176200312M3CorollatechspecWLTP.pdf

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, I could not find that spec sheet. That's one to file. Useful.

• 4 weeks later...

Many thanks for the useful information everyone, feeling happier now... 

• Thanks 1