Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Prius Plug in's

uk_vette

Hi all,

Please when was the Prius plug in's first available in UK ?

I am seeing around 2014 'ish ?

Thanks.

vette

Wow, quick reply, many thanks.

Another Q.

Is the plug in place on the Prius, the same as the newer ones, ie, on rear passenger quarter panel ?

vette

41 minutes ago, uk_vette said:

Wow, quick reply, many thanks.

Another Q.

Is the plug in place on the Prius, the same as the newer ones, ie, on rear passenger quarter panel ?

vette

Yes. that's right. 

Looks like this (se pic below , my 2015 Prius Plug In gen1 )

DSC_0785 (2).JPG

DSC_1185.JPG

2 hours ago, TheProfessor said:

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_Plug-in_Hybrid#United_Kingdom

"a total of 470 units were sold since its introduction to the market in July 2012"

Good article. I think the 470 was just for 2012. The total for the Gen1 PHV was 1651.

Still miniscule compared with the Global count of 128,900

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ancient Nerd said:

Good article. I think the 470 was just for 2012. The total for the Gen1 PHV was 1651.

Still miniscule compared with the Global count of 128,900

quite a lot of Prius Plug In gen1 sold in Sweden according to that article

Thanks again all,So are all Prius after 2012 of the plug-in type, or do I have to add more search options ?

vette

13 minutes ago, uk_vette said:

Thanks again all,So are all Prius after 2012 of the plug-in type, or do I have to add more search options ?

vette

Think You have to add "Plug In" or "PHV" or possibly "PIP" since there are  Prius "standard hybrids" ( HSD) from 2012-2015. Called Prius gen 3 I think

15 minutes ago, uk_vette said:

vette

No. Majority of Prius sold have been hybrid, even the gen 4 Prius is hybrid only, although the latest plug in Prius have a larger Battery and can do about 40 miles on pure electric. 40 miles is actually useful in the uk as majority of trips are less the 40 mile return

11 minutes ago, Catlover said:

No. Majority of Prius sold have been hybrid, even the gen 4 Prius is hybrid only, although the latest plug in Prius have a larger battery and can do about 40 miles on pure electric. 40 miles is actually useful in the uk as majority of trips are less the 40 mile return

Thanks,

Not exactly sure what you mean.

So firstly, not all 2012 onwards are plug in's

Is the gen 4 not a plug in, what years were they, could I ask ?

I thought thee was only gen 1 and gen 2 ?

Thanks,

Still very new to the plug-in ideas, which is looking rather good

vette

1 minute ago, uk_vette said:

Thanks,

Not exactly sure what you mean.

So firstly, not all 2012 onwards are plug in's

Is the gen 4 not a plug in, what years were they, could I ask ?

I thought thee was only gen 1 and gen 2 ?

Thanks,

Still very new to the plug-in ideas, which is looking rather good

vette

The Prius Plug In gen 1 (2012-2015) is the same model as standard Prius hybrid ( HSD) gen 3 (up to 2015 I think) and Prius Plug In gen 2 (2016-2020) is (a bit modified ) like standard Prius hybrid gen 4 (from 2015-2020)

Aaah,

Now I start to understand

Thanks

15 minutes ago, uk_vette said:

Aaah,

Now I start to understand

Thanks

You'll hopefully find some moore info. in those Topics

(thanks to all You helpfull people here at "toyotaownersclub" )

Best for you to do a search on Autotrader for Toyota Prius cars. You will get the full range being sold nationally. You wont find many plug-ins, nor a lot of Prius Plus, meaning you will find a lot of Prius of which the vast majority will be Gen 3 (2009-16) and Gen 4 (2016- to date). Autotrader will show you if you want a plug-in or a Plus you going to have a search to find them locally, especially if you looking for a colour or a spec, or be willing to travel.

Coming in a bit late but:

Prius plugin gen1 2012 to 2015.  Same body as facelifted gen3 prius (but no spare wheel bay or underfloor storage).  4kW Battery and type1 EV connector.

Prius plugin production ceased for 2016.

Prius plugin gen2 2017 to 2019.  Slightly different body to gen4 prius and only 4 seats.  8kW Battery and type2 EV connector.

Prius plugin gen2 2019+.  Facelifted version with 5 seats and repositioned heated seat switches.

When searching for used prius plugins, some dealers list them as a normal prius but you can tell them apart by the EV charging flap on the driver side and for the gen2 plugin, the front headlights.

Note: HSDish is in Sweden so the plugin flap is on the passenger side but in UK it is on the driver side.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Coming in a bit late but:

Prius plugin gen1 2012 to 2015.  Same body as facelifted gen3 prius (but no spare wheel bay or underfloor storage).  4kW battery and type1 EV connector.

Prius plugin production ceased for 2016.

Prius plugin gen2 2017 to 2019.  Slightly different body to gen4 prius and only 4 seats.  8kW battery and type2 EV connector.

Prius plugin gen2 2019+.  Facelifted version with 5 seats and repositioned heated seat switches.

When searching for used prius plugins, some dealers list them as a normal prius but you can tell them apart by the EV charging flap on the driver side and for the gen2 plugin, the front headlights.

Note: HSDish is in Sweden so the plugin flap is on the passenger side but in UK it is on the driver side.

Very informative !

Isn't the Prius Prime the PHEV based on the Gen 4 Prius?  Or is that not sold in Europe/UK?

The Prius Prime is the US name for the Prius Plug-in.

The "Prius Prime" name is only used for the 2nd gen Prius PHV in North America, the 1st gen was "Prius Plug-in Hybrid" like in Europe. European 2nd gen is badged "Prius PHV", the same as both generations in Japan.

As others have noted, if looking to buy the 1st gen Plug-in they may be incorrectly listed. Besides the charging port location, there are some other external differences:

• Silver-painted trim panel on front bumper (black on standard Prius)
  • Silver-painted trim panel on tailgate just below glass (body coloured on standard Prius)
  • Silver door handles (normally body coloured)
  • "Plug-in Hybrid" badges instead of just "hybrid" on wings