Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cruise control

scar

This query is for a 2020 RAV4. When I select cruise  control and attempt to increase my speed it does so in 5 MPH increments. I thought it would be one click for 1 mph. That has applied to ever car I've had.

Can you alter this to 1 mph increments or is it me ?

Update.

I found out through you tube that you can turn radar cruise off. So I had a drive and turned it off. When its off the speed increments are 1 mph. 

So am I correct saying that radar cruise control speed increments are 5 mph.

Normal speed control 1 mph. 

Can the radar speed control increments be altered, or is it a fixed value ?

The radar controlled cruise control increases in 5mph increments.  A bit dangerous is reducing, which is in 5mph increments, but puts the brakes on quite hard.

The non radar cruise control is in 1mph increments.

Nope, it's not you!

All of the Toyota & Lexus cars I've driven that had adaptive cruise control have used 5mph increments.  Those with 'ordinary' CC had 1mph as you mentioned.

You can have 1 mph increments if you select ordinary CC, by holding the CC on/off button for a few seconds when switching CC on.  Downside is you lose the radar feature.

1 hour ago, scar said:

...Can the radar speed control increments be altered, or is it a fixed value ?

It's a question that's been hotly debated on many boards but I've never seen anything to suggest it's possible.

It's a shame, because it must be a value either hard coded into the software or in a table somewhere.  It would be so easy to include this in the options that the user can alter in one of the multi-function screens, or at the very least with a diagnostic port tool.

Users with OBDII devices (those that have reported back) and my dealer have been unable to find any way of altering this to date.

• Like 1

Thanks for those replies.

Indeed I find it difficult to accept 5 mph increments are safe/logical. I found the car accelerating firmly when increasing speed. Took me by surprise. My previous car was a Honda CR-V and that too had 1 mph increments. 

I have had the car 2 weeks today. My initial thoughts are poor quality rear view camera with too much distortion. How much does a reasonable lens cost ? Info tablet is again blighted by yesterdays display standards. I sold 2 mk1 iPads at the start of the pandemic to a guy so he could face time his parents. They were so much better than the screen on a 2020 car. The mk1 iPads came out in 2010 !!!!

Its nice to drive and 240 miles show 53+ mpg (onboard values)

Dealerships PDI was poor, thats being generous. Not cleaned properly, rear number plate put on slanted. All in a negative experience. Thats my 7th car from them. 

Lets hope I only have service visits.

2 hours ago, scar said:

...I found the car accelerating firmly when increasing speed. Took me by surprise...

...My initial thoughts are poor quality rear view camera with too much distortion. How much does a reasonable lens cost ? Info tablet is again blighted by yesterdays display standards. I sold 2 mk1 iPads at the start of the pandemic to a guy so he could face time his parents. They were so much better than the screen on a 2020 car. The mk1 iPads came out in 2010 !!!!

Its nice to drive and 240 miles show 53+ mpg (onboard values)...

Acceleration: have you tried using the various drive modes?  I find in ECO mode the CC acceleration is fine (for my taste).  As an experiment, you might try setting the car to ECO mode and the CC speed to 70 mph (on a suitable dual carriageway) and maybe when exiting a roundabout and traffic flow is such that it's safe to do so, hit resume.  After a few seconds select normal mode then sport.  That will demonstrate the different levels of acceleration available - maybe one will be to your taste.  Sport mode certainly provokes some urgency when CC is accelerating.

Rear Camera: have you tried the icons to switch from 180° view to normal view?  It may seem less distorted,  Granted the resolution, clarity and brightness of both the infotainment and instrument cluster screens are embarrassingly dismal - one reviewer I read likened it to a 1980s video game screen.  Particularly disappointing is the way the bottom half of the instrument screen is almost invisible in brightish light, even when the sun is not directly on it.

Computed mpg: I keep such detailed records of my fuel usage that would impress many a train spotter, and can report that the average optimism of the RAV4's display mpg is 'only' about 2% optimistic on average, whereas all previous Toyotas I've logged have been around 5% optimistic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PeteB,

Eco mode is my default setting. Only time I used other modes was on the test drive. But will try the other modes and CC when a opportunity arises. ( my wife isn't in the car)

Regarding the rear view camera. I had the choice of 3 views options. I selected the best view and have left it as that. still disappointed with the quality of the image.

MPG. still on my first tank of fuel. If I get a 2% discrepancy would be happy with that. 

My wife and I both agree the blind spot monitor is a good option. First time we have had it on one of our cars. 

• Like 1