Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T25 2.0 D-4D Engine Rattle

S40V

Hi Guys,

I've got a 2007 Toyota Avensis 2.0 D-4D, with 125k miles on the clock. Over the last few months I have been getting a rattle from the engine, i've read about injector rattle online etc but not sure if this is the case with mine.

So when I dont start the car for a day or two, on start up i get a little bit of white smoke, with a strong sooty smell. When the engine is cold and I am driving I get a bad rattle on acceleration (1500+ rpm). However, im slightly confused as when the engine is nice and hot (long motorway run) I dont get any sort of rattle? If it was an injector it would rattle when hot too? Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The white smoke and sooty smell at startup sounds alot like an issue seen on high mileage 1cd-ftv engines. Essentially the copper washers at the base of the injectors would fail and allow exhaust gas into the crankcase. Your car probably has the later "ad" engine so I have no idea if that is as common an issue with them.

£2 for the washers and I paid £60 labour to get mine done but that was a local mechanic I know well.

If that's your issue then the sooner you get it looked at the better... I must've cleaned 2 or 3 KG exhaust soot from my intercooler and intake manifold

8 hours ago, laserguidedhawk said:

The white smoke and sooty smell at startup sounds alot like an issue seen on high mileage 1cd-ftv engines. Essentially the copper washers at the base of the injectors would fail and allow exhaust gas into the crankcase. Your car probably has the later "ad" engine so I have no idea if that is as common an issue with them.

£2 for the washers and I paid £60 labour to get mine done but that was a local mechanic I know well.

If that's your issue then the sooner you get it looked at the better... I must've cleaned 2 or 3 KG exhaust soot from my intercooler and intake manifold

Thank you. Yes, my car is the 1AD-FTV variant. Do you know if the copper injector washers will be related to the rattle on acceleration too?

It would be hard to say if the rattle is directly related. Get yourself a 3ft length of garden hose - hold one end against your ear and move the other end around your engine with the cover off too try and narrow down where it's coming from.