Do Not Sell My Personal Information

yaris 2019 bought as Cat S

khaj

Hi,

I recently bought a Cat S 2019 Yaris. Not had any problems with it so far except my steering wheel has suddenly started feeling heavy- It also takes a while to come back to the centre after a turn and sometimes doesn't come back all the way. Took it to the mechanic who said to check the tyre pressures- which were all fine and i'm now taking it to get tracked. Has anyone else had a problem that is similar? Does anyone know what the problem could be? 

Note that as an insurance write off it will no longer be covered under the Toyota new car warranty.

Failing power steering?

Bent suspension arm?

Twisted chassis?

Damaged subframe?

Damaged track rod end?

Bent steering arm?

Whole range of damage options...

Did you get a mechanic's report before buying?

Errr..the problem could be...it's a Cat S..!!

As Madasafish points out...there can be quite a long list of culprits and possibilities.

Good luck.

If it's had frontend work it's more than likely stuffed the rack, the EPS is probably way out of calibration if not damaged

First port of call is to have it 4 wheel aligned on a rack type machine (John Bean, ETC) that will tell you what is up and if it needs to go back on a jig

• Thanks 1

On 7/22/2020 at 1:51 PM, khaj said:

Hi,

I recently bought a Cat S 2019 Yaris. Not had any problems with it so far except my steering wheel has suddenly started feeling heavy- It also takes a while to come back to the centre after a turn and sometimes doesn't come back all the way. Took it to the mechanic who said to check the tyre pressures- which were all fine and i'm now taking it to get tracked. Has anyone else had a problem that is similar? Does anyone know what the problem could be? 

Cat S means structural damage. Given its a 2019 car the damage was likely quite severe to write it off.  Do you have details of the damage and what parts were replaced?

The EPS unit (or the torque sensors) could have sustained damage, especially if the airbag went off. Its also possible that the rack got slightly bent.

Getting the 'tracking' done is a waste of time. Take it for a full four-wheel alignment done by someone who knows how to use the kit.  This should give an indication of all wheel angles, L/R wheelbase, F/R track etc. Pay particular attention to 'Thrust Angle'.

If the geometry checks out OK then you can use something like Techstream to look at the EPS sensor signal, motor current etc.

If the front wheels have taken a hard hit it possibly put a ton of stress through the steering system

Thanks everyone for the help. Yes i have a mechanics report from the accident damage repair. I managed to get the problem fixed. Seems as though i may have hit my front left wheel as it was misaligned. The mechanic did the tracking and has realigned the 4 wheels. Steering is working perfectly now :) 

Would never have thought of buying a cat S but as i had seen pictures of the accident and received a mechanics report i felt comfortable with my purchase! 

• Like 1

Pleased it is sorted. Thanks for updating us..