Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2016 Hybrid Brake grouch

Sungodraz

Hey,

Have this weird grind/squeak/grouch sound when coming to a complete stop. As it the sound only appears on the last moment of the stop
It also appears slightly when I lift my foot off the brakes when starting to move.
If I put the car in N before I come to a complete stop, sound is gone, brakes stop silently as if any car would, If I come to a stop in D, "grouch" sound.

Sliding pins are good, pads are good, I have greased up the components around, and it seems that the sound stops, but comes back very soon after.
Any ideas?
Edit: Should have added that the sound seems to be originating from the front mostly. Front pads seem to have been changed at some point and are not OEM (TRW now).

Hi, there is nothing to worry about that and I can assure you it is absolutely normal behaviour from an automatic car. Every single auto with torque converter will do the same, despite Toyota hybrids has nothing similar with conventional automatics they are made to simulate them and so when car is moving slowly has got that “push” from the motor and while you are applying brakes slightly there are two forces that works against each other and there are some vibrations, those vibrations are the reason of the noises you can hear, even brand new Toyota will do it, I had few  brand new hybrids plus other autos and they all does that, for example  auto that doesn’t do that are VAG - DSG Boxes, as they never push the car forward. 
Enjoy your car and don’t worry.  👍

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, there is nothing to worry about that and I can assure you it is absolutely normal behaviour from an automatic car. Every single auto with torque converter will do the same, despite Toyota hybrids has nothing similar with conventional automatics they are made to simulate them and so when car is moving slowly has got that “push” from the motor and while you are applying brakes slightly there are two forces that works against each other and there are some vibrations, those vibrations are the reason of the noises you can hear, even brand new Toyota will do it, I had few  brand new hybrids plus other autos and they all does that, for example  auto that doesn’t do that are VAG - DSG Boxes, as they never push the car forward. 
Enjoy your car and don’t worry.  👍

Oh. Its a bit loud, I guess Ill have to crank the music up 😅
Is there any harm or foul than to just put it into N in the last second? So I pretty much avoid all of that. The regen brakes I imagine dont do anything in the last second of stopping anyways right?

Also just as off-topic because I do believe you. We have a simple car lending service here and I got in a 2019 Corrola and it also did the sound :D.
But I also got in a Auris, and it was quiet as can be. I never heard the grouch. Thats why I was a bit confused as to why some of them have it sometimes, and than dont other times.
Also if I "hard stop a few times" It also seems to make the sound go away at the very least for the next couple of stops. Just wondering what is the reason behind that

the auris hybrid uses a fixed clutch plate with no release bearing in the gearbox housing.

no torque convertor required.

the clutch spring are to absorb any vibrations when taking up drive and to make it smooth

when moving off

auris hybrid gearbox.jpg

auris hybrid engine clutch.jpg

What you are describing is known in the industry as 'creep groan'.  Manufacturers spend a fortune trying to engineer it out.

Basically its a self-excited oscillation around 50-200Hz in the brake/suspension assembly, initiated by stick-slip of the brake pads. This is down to the static friction coefficient being greater than the kinematic friction coefficient and usually occurs on the driven wheels at low speeds when the disc is being driven whilst braked.

Cleaning the friction surfaces and adding some brake grease or 'goo' to the back of the pads might help. Or changing to a different brand of pads...   It may well return though...

• Like 1