Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nice weather. No commuting. 65mpg

AndrueC

Which is nice 🙂

157 miles, 11 litres. The car claimed 69 but what're you gonna do?

😄

• Like 2

Thats funny. My car is the opposite. Calcalation at the pump is better than the dash board. 

• Like 1

I haven't reset the trip computer for a while and it has stayed at 4.0 l/100km, i also recently discovered that every time you shut the car off a little message pops up in the dashboard of the avg fuel consumtion, actually i knew there was a little message when you turned the car off but it kept disappearing after a split second i then realised it was because i kept pressing the brake so the message dissapeared lol.

The lowest number i've had was today at 3.3 l/100 km but i usually see 3,5-3,8 but i'm not sure how accurate these numbers are but anyway, finally got my vacation leave this week and as i'm not going anywhere this summer (thanks covid) i've been going to the beach these past 4 days which is about 15 km away from my house and actually this trip is the exact same one i take everyday for work and i maintained speeds between 60-80 km/h.

This road is considered a highway but because it's close to the city the speed limit is 70 km/h and it has lots of traffic lights so i get a lots of chances to take my foot off the gas pedal and let the car roll till i reach the red light so i get lots of energy back into the Battery. In one instance i checked my Battery levels just when i let my foot of the gas pedal and the Battery had about 2 bars and when i reached the red light it had 3 bars lower than full and whenever i get going the electric motor pushes me to about 35 km/h then the engine comes in and when i start maintaining my speed the engine shuts off and i'm back to ev mode again.

Pretty much this is the sequence that my car takes all the way till i reach my destination,  note that this was when we were going back home after 5 hours to the beach and after a big amount of eating at a restaurant so i wasn't as concentrated as i could be as i was feeling extremely tired and dizzy after all of that lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a good score. I think you can get the best mpg when out on the open road. I notice a poor score  on short trips outward, and excellent score on the return journey, presumably because the car has warmed up before you start the journey home. So if you do a short trip, stop for something, then drive on a lot further, your mpg will be reported as better.

I went up to North Wales to see my Dad this weekend. Car claimed 75.6 on arrival Friday evening. Coming back down this morning (leaving at 6am) it's down to 69.8. I suppose the cooler temps this morning have hit it. Either that or travelling from Llandudno (at sea level) to Brackley (100m above sea level) means you burn more fuel. I doubt that though. Surely travelling toward the equator ought to mean lower fuel consumption as the centrifugal force is helping.

I might be over thinking this 🙂

• Haha 1

Nope, no over thinking evident there. 

But, are you sure you don't mean centripetal force?  😁

6 minutes ago, Gerg said:

Nope, no over thinking evident there. 

But, are you sure you don't mean centripetal force?  🤔

I don't think so.

https://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a11511.html#:~:text=The effective acceleration of gravity,pounds%2C or 5.5 ounces less.

So if your journey results in you moving closer to the equator (eg;North Wales to South Midlands) it ought to require less fuel unless there is a significant increase in elevation. In my case I went from practically sea level to 114 metres over the course of 190 miles.

But I think it's mainly the difference between Friday evening (~21c) and Sunday morning (~17c). Also I got stuck in a jam going up there just outside Chester (Waverton) at some roadworks and it was noticeable that the half an hour of 3mph dribbling improved the displayed fuel consumption. It did not, however, improve my mood.

😄

12 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I went up to North Wales to see my Dad this weekend. Car claimed 75.6 on arrival Friday evening. Coming back down this morning (leaving at 6am) it's down to 69.8. I suppose the cooler temps this morning have hit it. Either that or travelling from Llandudno (at sea level) to Brackley (100m above sea level) means you burn more fuel. I doubt that though. Surely travelling toward the equator ought to mean lower fuel consumption as the centrifugal force is helping.

I might be over thinking this 🙂

I think you have a valid point but you need to take into account the position of the moon. Gravitational pull of the moon on the car can significantly improve mpg.

😏😏😏😏😏😏

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PACorolla said:

I think you have a valid point but you need to take into account the position of the moon. Gravitational pull of the moon on the car can significantly improve mpg.

😏😏😏😏😏😏

An easy way to plan your trips for maximum efficiency is to consult the tide tables.  Spring tides have the greatest gravitational pull, neap tides least gravitational pull.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Also I got stuck in a jam going up there just outside Chester (Waverton) 

I used to live in Waverton, went to school there, small world eh? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parts-King said:

I used to live in Waverton, went to school there, small world eh? 

Indeed. Well right now is probably not a good time to be living there. It's the A41 that is down to single lane so I dread to think what it's like in rush hour 😮

When I lived there, the A41 was the main trunk road south to B'Ham and beyond, no M56, lorries would thunder along, no 40/50 limit in those days. My mate lived in what was the Post Office/Shop on the junction, think it's called the white house now, traffic was non stop 24 hours a day. Waverton was one of the first villages around Chester that built new homes for the then new Vauxhall factory at E/Port, many happy memories there 

• Like 1

If Toyota's sat-nav has anything to do with it may return to being a major route. It tries to get me on it every time when I'm driving up from Brackley. Sometimes it tries M54/A41, last Friday it decided M6/A5/A41 was the way to go and I decided on a whim to just let it. Coming back on Sunday I wasn't paying attention and drove past the A483 exit off the A55 before I realised.

I usually ignore it as I prefer M6/M56/A55. It's a bit longer but less hassle as you can just potter along in lane one.