Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was this a good price or was I ripped off?

iaintnospringchicken

Just had my car MOT'd and had front and rear brake pads changed.

Mot was £45 

Brakes and labour inc VAT was £210.  So total was £255.

Is this reasonable? 

By the way my car is a 2006 Toyota Avensis 1.8

How did they break down the fitting of the pads on the bill?

i.e. How much were the parts?

How much was the labour?

...and WHERE did you have the work done.?...main dealer.?...independent.?..Halfords et al.?

Thanks for replying. 

I did realise after posting I should have given that information.

It was at a local independent garage. 

No breakdown of costs.

Just said brake pads fitted £210.

I think Toyota charge about £135 for each set of pads to be changed, so you are about £60 under what Toyota charge. Having said that, I have just had all 4 discs and pads changed by an independent, and it cost £291 using Pagid parts.

I don't think you were ripped off. If you had time to look around you probably could have got it cheaper, but you would have spent more of your time doing so.

• Like 1

Given garage labour costs these days I don't think you were "ripped off"...yes, no doubt you could have paid less but, as said, that costs searching time...but you certainly paid a FULL price.!

15 minutes ago, 333max said:

I think Toyota charge about £135 for each set of pads to be changed, so you are about £60 under what Toyota charge. Having said that, I have just had all 4 discs and pads changed by an independent, and it cost £291 using Pagid parts.

I don't think you were ripped off. If you had time to look around you probably could have got it cheaper, but you would have spent more of your time doing so.

Yeah normally I do. I knew the MOT was due so thought rather than getting it dropped off at different places - it would be easier doing it the same time as the MOT. 

They done work last year and thought it was reasonable. I just assumed brake pads was a quick and cheap repair. Lesson learnt.

14 minutes ago, RUToyota said:

Given garage labour costs these days I don't think you were "ripped off"...yes, no doubt you could have paid less but, as said, that costs searching time.

I normally do ring around but I suppose for the convenience of the location of the garage,  I was lazy and just assumed it was a cheap repair. 

Lesson learnt. 

My local garage charges only £40/hr.

I would ask them to break the bill down for you as, it's imho, it's a total rip off.

It also depends what make of pads were fitted,labour time alone could be around £50.00 plus VAT,you'd be looking at 0.5 hours per brake (£120 inc vat)plus the price of the pads.

9 minutes ago, Stivino said:

My local garage charges only £40/hr.

I would ask them to break the bill down for you as, it's imho, it's a total rip off.

Isnt it a bit late now as it was paid for on Saturday morning? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SID1919 said:

It also depends what make of pads were fitted,labour time alone could be around £50.00 plus VAT,you'd be looking at 0.5 hours per brake (£120 inc vat)plus the price of the pads.

Thats what I expected to be honest. I have no idea what brakes were fitted. It doesnt say. 

I know that I can buy decent pads for you car for £30 for the whole car.

So, even if they charged £60 for all the pads and an hour labour for fitting, the still charged you double what the job is worth.

Always get a price before giving the go ahead.

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

I know that I can buy decent pads for you car for £30 for the whole car.

So, even if they charged £60 for all the pads and an hour labour for fitting, the still charged you double what the job is worth.

Always get a price before giving the go ahead.

An hours labour to replace all 4 brake pads ?

17 minutes ago, SID1919 said:

An hours labour to replace all 4 brake pads ?

Easy, the car is already in the workshop and up on the ramp.

Love the way there is an expert to tell you what you didn't want to hear, somewhat after the event :rolleyes:

£210 is around dealer prices, but doubt they would have fitted genuine pads, so yes you could have had it done cheaper. You will know for next time to check your prices, nobody died, put it down to a life experience on move on 👍

• Like 2

It all depends on where you are located Prices vary greatly it could have easily £150 in parts alone - pads, hardware, brake clean, lube - they may have bled the system as well

Just now, flash22 said:

It all depends on where you are located Prices vary greatly it could have easily £150 in parts alone - pads, hardware, brake clean, lube - they may have bled the system as well

That's why bills should be itemised.