Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear drums to discs conversion

Iceman29

Hi.

I currently have two IQ3’s, one 2009 with rear drum brakes and one 2011 with rear discs. 

Does anyone have any experience to know whether the parts would simply swap over?

Thanks in advance

• 4 months later...

I was wondering about this swap as well. You can buy rear axles off the net from breakers yards. I'd say it would work as I'd assume the ABS bearings would the same so the computer wouldn't be confused with the front and rear readings. All you need to do was buy brake caliper handbrake cables as the drum ones attach to the shoes so would be different. I work as a mechanic I'd try it and see what happened (if anything did). If I ever do do the conversion I'll let you know if it went ok or not and if any problems did arise if they can be easily sorted.

Why would you want to do that? 

Unless you know something that all the brake boffins at toyota know, I wouldn't bother. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 10:03 PM, Milky Bar Kid 1001 said:

I was wondering about this swap as well. You can buy rear axles off the net from breakers yards. I'd say it would work as I'd assume the ABS bearings would the same so the computer wouldn't be confused with the front and rear readings. All you need to do was buy brake caliper handbrake cables as the drum ones attach to the shoes so would be different. I work as a mechanic I'd try it and see what happened (if anything did). If I ever do do the conversion I'll let you know if it went ok or not and if any problems did arise if they can be easily sorted.

I did it on my drive in the end. Was really simple, way easier than I originally thought.

Disconnected the handbrake cables from the actual handbrake side, disconnected shocks and removed springs, disconnected brake lines and removed the whole rear axle.

Swapped them over. Refitted springs and shocks and bled the brakes, took a few hours on the drive. Would be way quicker if I had more room and 2 trolley jacks or even better, actual vehicle ramps.

On 12/7/2020 at 10:12 PM, Stivino said:

Why would you want to do that? 

Unless you know something that all the brake boffins at toyota know, I wouldn't bother. 

The facelift IQ3’s come with discs as standard, so why not? Didn’t cost me anything.

Definitely tempted to do this conversation, know it doesn't look complicated as I've ramps and all the necessary tools at work. Plus the axles themselves are relatively cheap and readily available.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links