Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Coil Springs

Milky Bar Kid 1001

I wonder if anyone had ever replace the front coils springs due to them fracturing? I'm struggling like anything to get the new spring to sit right for the top plate. The replacement spring has ends that don't line up with each other ie when look downwards on to the spring my top and bottom end line up whereas the new spring they overlap by 1inch. Obviously with the bottom of the spring sitting correctly in the strut does it matter where the top lines up with when fitting the boot (which by looks of it only goes in one position) and the top plate? When I've aligned the original marks up ie boot position to top of spring it seems throw the whole thing out alignment making it impossible to get it sitting correctly once to top bearing mount has been fitted. I've got another pair of spring coming from my parts supplies tomorrow so will see if they are any better. Also are they handed so it speak ie RH/ LH, looking at the Toyota online parts catalogue they show that they are via RH/ LH and different part numbers. Am I reading too much into that??

Also what's the best tool to use to compress the spring enough, I'm a spring clamp but that gets in the way once decompression of the spring has been done and I can't get the clamp out due to it being stuck on either the strut base or top plate. Is a upright floor base spring compression tool a better option??? 

Any help/ advice appreciated!!! 😃😃

Spring clamps normally come in pairs, one each side of the spring. You normally clamp at the top and bottom one coil from each end which should stop your problem occuring.

I have replaced lots of strings as coil fractures are common. I recently did a Yaris all round and I do not remember and problem locating the top and bottom of the springs in the top and bottom collars. I do not thinkl springs are handed-have you got them the right way up, sorry if that is a silly query. From memory the bottom spring flage is fixed to the strut but the top collar rotates into position.

Good luck with it-tou will get good advice here.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links