Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid battery pack health status.

nielshm

According to Toyotas warranty for the annual hybrid health checkup, a report will be generated, so the costumer can see current Battery status and capacity. 

Have you ever seen such a report? And what exactly did it say? At my last service I didn't see or hear anything. 

• Like 1

I've gotten two (since I've done two services), I'll see if I can upload a pic later today 👍

• Thanks 1

It'll just say "Passed" in all the boxes.

That’s not very helpful but, will probably say ‘Passed’ until the warranty expires.

They use a test program that puts the car into a special mode to perform the test, iirc there is an app that prius owners use or you can check the cells via techstream

I have not come across the software its self but there are technical documents on it

45 minutes ago, CB radio said:

That’s not very helpful but, will probably say ‘Passed’ until the warranty expires.

How many years warranty would you like on the hybrid Battery?

For 2020 model cars Toyota have extended the Hybrid Battery warranty from 100k miles/8 years to 150k/10 years PLUS if you have a Toyota service every thereafter (up to 15 years) they will do a Hybrid Battery health check every year and extend the warranty by 12 months accordingly. 

15 year hybrid warranty, name another manufacturer that matches that.

and the price of Hybrid batteries have fallen a lot over time, now a Prius battery is just over £1200.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

How many years warranty would you like on the hybrid battery?

I hear it's 10 years in Denmark provided you get the annual Hybrid check.

I was told by a Toyota garage though that as long as the 5 year hybrid component warranty is in effect. You can have the hybrid check done a couple of days over the one year mark with no effects on warranty or potential goodwill repairs. After the 5 year Hybrids warranty has ended though, you need to have to have the check done EXACTLY one year, to the date, at the latest. Otherwise, your extended warranty is gone. I hope the five year thing is true as I was some days late with my first services. These days, I make sure the check is done on the very same date (at the latest).

Hybrid Assistant app with OBDLink LX OBD adapter will provide the Battery information and lots more.
Carista adapter does not work on Toyota HSD gen4 cars with hybrid Hybrid Assistant , but works fine fo doing changes to a car from the Carista app.

2 hours ago, vonkhaled said:

Here’s the report

7E92A219-1875-436F-BED5-14AE6B213E3A.jpeg

For the costumer it's a useless report. It doesn't say if capacity has dropped by 1% or 50%, and whats the limit any way? 

3 hours ago, nielshm said:

For the costumer it's a useless report. It doesn't say if capacity has dropped by 1% or 50%, and whats the limit any way? 

So if the report says its dropped 5%, 15% 50% whatever, what can you do? what good is it knowing?  I know if it fails within 15 years (assuming it has had an annual health check) it will be sorted  Individual cells can be replaced if need be.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

So if the report says its dropped 5%, 15% 50% whatever, what can you do? what good is it knowing?  I know if it fails within 15 years (assuming it has had an annual health check) it will be sorted  Individual cells can be replaced if need be.

If Battery fails it will be replaced. If it works just a tiny bit it wont? In Denmark warrenty is only 10 years, so I would be very interested in knowing how degration are in progress. At least trying to make a agrement with Toyota about replacement, if Battery capacity has dropped a lot, but still is "working". 

9 hours ago, Catlover said:

For 2020 model cars Toyota have extended the Hybrid battery warranty from 100k miles/8 years to 150k/10 years

The above is for Toyota USA  - https://www.toyota.com/owners/resources/warranty-owners-manuals

Toyota GB covers the hybrid Battery under the 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty, and when the new car warranty ends,  the hybrid Battery warranty can be extended for 1 year/10,000 miles by having the car serviced annually by a Toyota dealer (hybrid electric service). The hybrid Battery warranty can be extended up to the car's 15th birthday and where a hybrid electric service is done just before the 15th birthday, almost 16 years of cover can be provided.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty

5 hours ago, nielshm said:

If battery fails it will be replaced. If it works just a tiny bit it wont? In Denmark warrenty is only 10 years, so I would be very interested in knowing how degration are in progress. At least trying to make a agrement with Toyota about replacement, if battery capacity has dropped a lot, but still is "working". 

Neils, so you bought a brand new hybrid in the last 12-18 months and you seem to be already worried about degration of the hybrid Battery, don’t get too worked up about it, life’s too short. The hybrid Battery is not like the 12v Battery stuck under the bonnet or in the boot, that is one composite lump where if one cell goes down the whole lump becomes inefficient. The hybrid battery has I think, in the Prius/Auris 27 cells, so if one goes down that one cell can be replaced - not the whole lump. Toyota test the cells on the hybrid battery health check. Add what Frostyballs has said in his most recent post above, the hybrid battery has a warranty for 16 years and potentially 260,000 miles......... I ask again, how long do you want a warranty for.

If, Neil’s, you had bought a pure electric vehicle then I could see your concerns about battery degration. The early Ev’s had a short mileage, say 90 miles, before running out of juice. Now maybe EV cars may do 250 miles(not talking about the really expensive EV cars). Battery degration in those types of cars would be very important. 20% less after say 5 years could seriously affect the usage of the car, and batteries I understand cost in excess of £7k. What adds to battery degration is heat management, or in some cases lack of heat management. One of the most popular ev’s in Europe and North America is the Nissan Leaf, and I understand there is no heat management system on these, no fan, nothing. With that I would be worried, and the battery warranty on one of those vehicles is, I understand 8 years/100k miles........ yes I would be worried. 
I have looked at owning an EV, lots of merit in doing so, but for me at this moment in time there are lots of downers. Whereas a hybrid, even if there was battery degration it would not affect the journeys I could make - if after 5 years I had 20% less battery range then I know the petrol engine would allow me to continue to use the car exactly as I had before, and cope with any change of circumstance that may have increased my usage.

i have had no experience yet of using Toyotas hybrid battery warranty personally, neither in my 6 years of being on this Toyota Owners Forum have I seen any owner reporting they have had to use it and how they went on. Not saying no one has had the need to use the warranty, just that it doesn’t appear to be a common thing judging from what I have seen, or should I say, not seen (read). Perhaps you know someone whose had a bad experience, or maybe a good experience.

Catlover, I think you get me wrong. I don't sit in my chair at night and think about possible failures or break downs. 

But it's my car, and I want to know all I can about it. The Battery test is like putting the car on a dyno. Let's see what it's got. Hopefully I only gets test reports with high scores, and would be a great documention to pass on to the next owner. Since I only have 10 years warranty in Denmark, not 15 years, a potential buyer to my used car in 5-7 years could ask, if the Battery is in good condition. Well, I have no idea, in that case all I have is 15 sheets of paper that says "Passed", but doesn't give any numbers or figures. 

A danish owner had a fatal failure on his 2013 Auris, that required a full Battery exchange. He had missed his annual service by 1 month, and got stuck with the whole bill. Until the last service, the poor owner could have 6-7 sheets that says Passed, and suddently the whole thing dies. Just maybe some error has been in progress over time, and if the report had numbers and measurements, errors could have been detected at a early stage. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nielshm said:

That's what we get unfortunately.

We have the same 5 year warranty in Sweden. 

3 hours ago, nielshm said:

Catlover, I think you get me wrong. I don't sit in my chair at night and think about possible failures or break downs. 

But it's my car, and I want to know all I can about it. The battery test is like putting the car on a dyno. Let's see what it's got. Hopefully I only gets test reports with high scores, and would be a great documention to pass on to the next owner. Since I only have 10 years warranty in Denmark, not 15 years, a potential buyer to my used car in 5-7 years could ask, if the battery is in good condition. Well, I have no idea, in that case all I have is 15 sheets of paper that says "Passed", but doesn't give any numbers or figures. 

A danish owner had a fatal failure on his 2013 Auris, that required a full battery exchange. He had missed his annual service by 1 month, and got stuck with the whole bill. Until the last service, the poor owner could have 6-7 sheets that says Passed, and suddently the whole thing dies. Just maybe some error has been in progress over time, and if the report had numbers and measurements, errors could have been detected at a early stage. 

If you're refering to the thread found in the Danish Facebook Group "Toyota Hybrid Forum", I believe his car is a Yaris from 2015. I haven't heard / read about any Auris failing.

What is unfortunate is that he wasn't informed by his garage that after the five year warranty period he would need to have future checks done one year TO THE DATE at the latest.

I didn't know this myself until last year - my garage told me that during the 5 year warranty period of the hybrid components, Toyota is more forgiving as the check being done a few days or weeks late. Not so when the 5 year warranty has expired. I hope this is true as some of my first checks / services were a week or two overdue.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 3:08 PM, Catlover said:

How many years warranty would you like on the hybrid battery?

For 2020 model cars Toyota have extended the Hybrid battery warranty from 100k miles/8 years to 150k/10 years PLUS if you have a Toyota service every thereafter (up to 15 years) they will do a Hybrid battery health check every year and extend the warranty by 12 months accordingly. 

15 year hybrid warranty, name another manufacturer that matches that.

and the price of Hybrid batteries have fallen a lot over time, now a Prius battery is just over £1200.

Exactly Catlover. Even with 2019 models, the cover is still 15 years subject to dealer servicing.

Because the Hybrid is so complex, I would not get anyone other than the dealer to service. So it's a no brainer, and Toyota dealer prices are OK in my experience.

Like many, I was worried about possible Battery replacement, but the Toyota deal is pretty fair. Most of the scare mongering is put around by neg heads who hate hybrids, and the improvements made to the hybrid system of the last 15 years have ironed out many of the initial problems, it would seem.

Hybrid Battery Terms and Conditions in attachment.

Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf

Hi, I would like to know if someone else has problems with a hybrid Toyota. I have a RAV 4 and after 4 days without using the car the Battery is dead.

It happens very often and Toyota says it's normal :)

How far do you travel before spending 4 days without starting your RAV? Why I ask is do you use the car enough to get a full charge into the 12volt Battery before you lay it up for 4 days? If you don't use the car much and it discharges often, the Battery condition becomes very poor and it won't hold a charge.

Hi,

What do you mean by "use the car enough"  ? And what do you understand by " use the car much" ? It s all relative !  Is there an objective way to find when I used the car enough so that I get a full charge of the 12V Battery ? Or to get an alert when I stop the car and the Battery is not fully charged ?

From my point of view, yes use the car often and enough.

Are you all satisfied with the autonomy offered by the Toyota's hybrid battery  ?

Do you struggle to maintain the Battery charged forcing yourself to use the car when you don t need it only to maintain the battery charged  or you can use it normally like another car ?.

Thanks

FWIW: I've never drained the 12 volt in my Auris, and I do a lot of short 1-5 mile shopping and school runs every week. The rest of my runs are between 5 and 75 miles with the latter being at least once a month.

That said, there are quite a few posts about new Corolla owners having similar issues. Perhaps the Battery of my Auris has a larger capacity?

I wonder if you could have Toyota fit a larger capacity Battery?

1 hour ago, Nicolai said:

Perhaps the battery of my Auris has a larger capacity?

I was at the dealership last week (for a service), I noticed their 1.8 Corolla had a 45Ah Battery.  I think the Auris is 35Ah.  I was sufficiently bored waiting in the 'COVID-secure', near-empty showroom, that I even took this picture:-

IMG_20200729_090621763.thumb.jpg.a0f4d6bc97665493a28449af7d894a7e.jpg

So, a Varta Battery now, and not much room for a bigger item.

10 hours ago, livium said:

Hi,

What do you mean by "use the car enough"  ? And what do you understand by " use the car much" ? It s all relative !  Is there an objective way to find when I used the car enough so that I get a full charge of the 12V battery ? Or to get an alert when I stop the car and the battery is not fully charged ?

From my point of view, yes use the car often and enough.

Are you all satisfied with the autonomy offered by the Toyota's hybrid battery  ?

Do you struggle to maintain the battery charged forcing yourself to use the car when you don t need it only to maintain the battery charged  or you can use it normally like another car ?.

Thanks

If you drive a mile to the shops and back, I would define that as not using it enough. I was looking for a response from you re how far you drive before you leave it for 4 days. Fairly simple question for anyone who has owned a car for a while. As I have no new information to go on, here is my thought.

I have never had a problem yet. I regularly drive for an hour or so, and then during lock down, I have not used the car for a week, no problem. If I had regularly pottered around town for a mile or so, I would expect that the 12 volt Battery would not have had a chance to charge.

If you don't use the car much, follow Toyota's advice and put the car in ready mode for an hour once per week.