Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris catalytic converter location

darkerparker

Hi all,

Very keen on getting a yaris hybrid, but reading lots about catalytic converter theft on hybrids and it's making me nervous. I've read that the yaris hybrids have their converters in the engine bay which makes them harder to steal, but is this true for all models or only ones after a certain year?

Any info would be appreciated, cheers!

The cat comes off the back of the manifold on the Yaris hybrid, it's between the block and firewall, The New Yaris is due out in September if you're looking for new

google Yaris 1NZFXE

• Like 1

Hi,

This thread from March may give you some insight.

I think all years of Yaris hybrids had the same exhaust configuration, so there isn't one to avoid.

The latest (that's just launched - not seen one on the road yet) Yaris engine looks like this, so despite being a completely different engine to the old one, the catalyst (shown with red arrow) is on the 'more inaccessible' side of the exhaust joint (shown with white arrow) - just as the old one is/was.  Which is 'a good thing'.

438579532_New-Yaris-hybrid-systemcat.thumb.jpg.a762cf04677d468841631ebc4968039c.jpg

• Like 2

Just to add you  also have the driveshaft that runs under the cat too

The problem with Toyota cars and cat thefts is not actually where the cats are located but the large opening under the car behind the cat and how they are attached to the engine, which give a needed room to cut , undo the bolts and take away whole peace catalytic converters and middle silencer. If the cat is located on the front of the engine as is on the 1.33 engines there is no chance for stealing it, if is on the rear a long the car length even closer to engine there is still risk of being stolen. In general they target Prius all models and especially the older gen 2 and gen 3, Auris hybrids gen 2 and gen 1. Recently non hybrid Toyota’s also got into the game which is disturbing indeed. 

• Like 1

Ok that's really helpful, thanks everyone! I'm going to bite the bullet and join the club tomorrow ☺️

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

So do we know for sure that the new Yaris Hybrid's CC is less accessible than other models of Toyota's?  There's been a spate of CC theft in our village tonight, one theft being reported only two streets away. It's worrying.

• Sad 1

The other thing to consider is that Toyota has reduced the precious metals content in the cats on new models, making them less attractive to theives. How many reports of cat thefts have you seen for the current Corolla, C-HR and Rav4?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

See the pic with the red and white arrows in it, that is the Gen 4 engine the cat is bolted directly to the engine and is in between the engine and firewall

cars like the Auris and Prius have the cats mounted down low under the car so easy to access

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mikw said:

So do we know for sure that the new Yaris Hybrid's CC is less accessible than other models of Toyota's?  There's been a spate of CC theft in our village tonight, one theft being reported only two streets away. It's worrying.

YES, we know for sure, far less accessible 

• Like 2

Thanks all! It's unnerving having CC theives operating on out estate, but feel a bit better now knowing my car is a bit safer.

• 1 month later...

Please can someone explain in simple terms exactly where the catalytic converter is on a 16 plate Yaris, so that I know which side to park the car. Thanks 

28 minutes ago, Penny Hall said:

Please can someone explain in simple terms exactly where the catalytic converter is on a 16 plate Yaris, so that I know which side to park the car. Thanks 

You can look at the first posts pictures, the cat is right behind the engine, not a problem and not a target vehicle. Does not matter how you park. 

• Like 1

The cat is attached/part of the exhaust manifold and is between the engine and the bulkhead.  It is not easily to get at.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I was googling cat theft earlier and this thread popped up,  peace of mind provided by Gerg.

438579532_New-Yaris-hybrid-systemcat.thumb.jpg.a762cf04677d468841631ebc4968039c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It’s all well and good being tucked up the back of the engine but when a thicko lies under a car with a wrecking saw, he’ll cut anything off with a bulge and there are expansion boxes midway.   Pity they don’t cut their own hands off at the same time.  

• Like 4

Agreed, best to remove all hybrid badges and always think where you park. The problem is that whatever they cut under the car these parts goes in whole unit that cost crazy money. , at least in Yaris the cat will likely remain attached to the engine., but the rest is vulnerable. I haven’t heard of Yaris been done but you never know. 
My first ever taken something off the car was back in 2016 at asda car park, someone decided to take the wheel cap from one of the wheels, and the I…iot even damaged the wheel with a screwdriver.  My gf was so upset and disappointed. New cap only cost £11 from a dealer. But the exhaust system we are looking over grand for any repairs. 

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Hi all! I realise this post is from 2020, but a couple of months ago we joined the Toyota family with a 2018 Yaris 1.5 Icon Hybrid (writing it all down in case any of it is relevant). Is the cat converter vulnerable in this? Is there anything I can do to protect it or even better put would-be thieves off? Thank you in advance!

9 hours ago, BY85 said:

Hi all! I realise this post is from 2020, but a couple of months ago we joined the Toyota family with a 2018 Yaris 1.5 Icon Hybrid (writing it all down in case any of it is relevant). Is the cat converter vulnerable in this? Is there anything I can do to protect it or even better put would-be thieves off? Thank you in advance!

Personally, I wouldn’t worry.  If they’re going to take it, it’s just bad luck and very little will stop them.   If they can’t get it they’ll likely vandalise the car in spite, it’s just they’re mentally.  

10 hours ago, BY85 said:

The cat is at the manifold, so it's safe. 

11 hours ago, BY85 said:

I have a 2018 hybrid too. Earlier this year I was made aware (by a letter from the county police) of a 'recall' by Toyota/police to (I think) anti-theft mark the cats on Yaris (and probably some one other models). I asked my dealer about it when it had it's annual service soon after, and they said these ones don't need it as the cat is so inaccessible.

I was contacted by my local dealer a couple of months ago about 'painting' my cat on my Yaris hybrid.  They did it for free in about an hour.   It only took a few minutes but they had to wait for the cat to cool down.

• Like 1

Only in an unlikely event if some dumb thief drive past the car and decides to cut any pipe or exhaust box thinking it’s a cat that will get well paid for. Has happened to a Corolla owners. 
Other than that your Yarises are safe. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links