Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 6 ST202

Neil1982

Hello guys, I wonder if you could shed some light on this, why do some gen 6 celica have a driver side airbag and others don't.... Are they only fitted on the 1.8, 2.0 or certain imports or was it just an optional extra...

The mid-90's was when driver's air bags were first becoming a common fitment. For examp!e a 94 Honda Concerto we bought new didn't have a driver's airbag, and a 96 Toyota Corolla we bought new did.

It wasn't that they were options.

iirc it was made mandatory in 1991 in the uk - edit. That was the introduction

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

iirc it was made mandatory in 1991 in the uk

No. We had a new Micra in 92, a new Sunny in 93, and, as above, a new Concerto in 94 - neither had airbags.

2 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

No. We had a new Micra in 92, a new Sunny in 93, and, as above, a new Concerto in 94 - neither had airbags.

I agree, there are lots of 92,93 and 94 Celica i've seen that still don't have them. 

Drivers airbags were made a requirement in October 1997 under vehicle approval in the UK

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/25/schedule/3/made

4.  The vehicle shall comply with the requirements of paragraph 5.1 of Annex 1 of Directive 74/297/EEC.

For the purposes of this item—

“driver’s air-bag” means a flexible bag fitted to a vehicle and designed to be filled with gas under pressure in order to protect the driver in the event of a collision involving the front end of the vehicle.

“steering control” has the same meaning as in Directive 74/297/EEC.

This item shall not apply to—
(a)

vehicles, the steering control of which has been specially constructed for the use of a person suffering from some physical defect or disability;
(b)

vehicles manufactured before 1 October 1997 in which the centre of the steering control is in the forward quarter of the total length of the vehicle, including any bumpers and overriders;
(c)

goods vehicles having a maximum gross weight of not less than 1500kg and goods vehicles manufactured before 1 October 1997;
(d)

ambulances, motor caravans and heubiks (in each case) having a maximum gross weight of more than 2,500 kg if the vehicle has been derived from a goods vehicle either having a maximum gross weight of not less than 1,500 kg or manufactured before 1st October 1997; and
(e)

armoured vehicles.

Paragraph 1 shall not apply to a vehicle if—
(a)

it is a Schedule 2 vehicle but not—
(i)

an amateur-built vehicle;
(ii)

a vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle; or
(iii)

a rebuilt vehicle;
(b)

it is fitted with a driver’s air bag; and
(c)

the driver’s air bag was fitted at the time the vehicle was manufactured.

Paragraph 1 shall not apply to any switch fitted to the

steering control of a vehicle if—
(a)

it is a Schedule 2 vehicle but not—
(i)

an amateur-built vehicle;
(ii)

a vehicle manufactured using parts of a registered vehicle; or
(iii)

a rebuilt vehicle;

and
(b)

the switch is an integral part of the steering control as originally fitted to the vehicle by its manufacturer and it can be depressed into the steering control by finger pressure.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links