Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to re-program another key

sproutdreamer

I stupidly got my key fob wet (T25 08 Avensis) I have had it apart and dried it out but the remopte does not activate the door pocking and no LED when operating the button. The key itself will manually open the door and the central locking and start the car so I guess the transponder is ok. I have had it apart and physically dried it and with a cool hair dryer but no joy.

If I get a second hand 3 button Avensis key can I fit the electric unit into my key fob and re-program that to my car? Is the transponder in the plastic fob or the seperate remote control electronic unit and will that trnspose to my car?

I have seen similar queries and answers on the forum but those relate to other Toyota models or earlier or later Avensis.

I'm probably asking the obvious but have you tried replacing the Battery?

I believe the transponder is in the electronics module.  You will need a Techstream to reprogram it to your car & possibly you will need a locksmith to 'reset' the module before you can reprogram it. Here's such a service:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123728913324?ul_noapp=true

Hi

Yes the tranponder must be in the electronic module as the car will not start on the key without the module in situ. Thanks for the link but my car is an older model and from other links, cars of that era have the central locking programmable by a series of operations with the key, ignition on off, doors opening and all sorts of magic. I am sure someone who has done this and kept a clear record of how will be along soon. 🙄 Maybe I can switch the transponder from my fob to another module?

THanks for the MrFix..

After drying out for 3 days all workings now but I now know how to re-program a key. The big problem seems to be if you lose/damage both at the same time!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 1:47 PM, sproutdreamer said:

After drying out for 3 days all workings now but I now know how to re-program a key. The big problem seems to be if you lose/damage both at the same time!

Unless there is a specific reason or very unlucky, I only ever carry one key, and the other key is in a secure place at home. If I am not using the car, then the key is left at home in another secure place. When I owned my previous Mk1 Avensis, twice I lost the keys, and got them returned. Before that my brother who owned the car before me, lost the key in the garden. He found it a few weeks later when cutting the grass. In each case, the car was not in use, so the keys did not have to be carried. Also I have taken further measures like a large key ring fob, and clothing with deep or zipped pockets to stop keys falling out, or falling out unnoticed. If there is a reason to carry the second key, I do have the optional grey valet key. 
Something else I have noted. All the keys - those from my old car till I sold it in 2016 and my current set, were all in good condition. I have seen and noticed on the forum, that the some Mk2 keys are in bad condition, with the remote buttons worn or missing. The worse that has happened was I had to re-sync the keys of the Mk1 '98 T22, which is covered in the owners manual. 

It's the cost and hassle that has made me more aware and taken the steps to prevent the loss of a key. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links