Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris TSpirit 2011 model, 44k miles: Rear Coil Spring "broken due to corrosion and replaced"

John David Jones

O/s Front Coil Spring replaced adjudged to be "broken", along with O/s Front Drop Link, and although I had just renewed my warranty I was charged for this by my local main dealer. Car was in for service and MOT and would have failed this I was told. 44k miles on clock, only 12,000 since I've owned it. Does this sound likely - been advised that these components are very durable by a mechanic; "Last the life of the car usually". Grateful for any opinions.

Edited by John David Jones
Word change.

Front or rear? Topic title says rear, post says front.

I have had colleagues who have had broken front springs - usually wear and tear through corrosion rather than a manufacturing defect (which is what the extended warranty covers you for). Speed bumps don't help either. Ideally replaced in pairs.

Yes Frosty, it was a front spring not a rear one as I put in my initial post. I corrected later, after I had signed up for the forums. Your last four words covered what puzzled me at the time: the chief mechanic assured me that the other spring was fine, and from that I assumed that the broken one might have had a manufacturing defect. Thanks anyway - guess I'll have to bite the bullet, I've already paid the "piper" well as you can imagine. And I had the clutch go about four months earlier also not warranty protected... But, I still like the car and am happy with it otherwise, with nothing serious before - and I've had far worse in the past..!

1 hour ago, John David Jones said:

these components are very durable by a mechanic; "Last the life of the car usually

I would disagree with this statement. Your car is 9 years old so having a coil spring and drop-link replaced is nothing unusual even with the reasonably low mileage. Who knows what type of surfaces your car has been driven on prior to your ownership. The previous owner may have lived on a farm or similar. 

While I'm sure it's possible, most cars regardless of make and model will have coil springs replaced and drop links at some point of the vehicle's life. 

With all the pot holes around these days, and some are very deep I would imagine spring damage as well as tyres and wheel rim damage are more frequent then before.  As FBalls said, speed bumps can be very severe, hit them at speed and a lot of damage could be the result.
Common these days, especially with Toyota main dealers is they will take a photo/video of damage whilst in situ if possible, for customer info. 
I have knowingly only had one spring breakage, but that’s the point, “knowingly”, sometimes you don’t know, no Ill effects to the driving experience so you just don’t know,

Thanks, HS78 and Catlover. You two and Frosty have made sense of this for me now, and I see no sense in following my original intention now which was to query the non-introduction of the warranty process. Thanks, guys, your advices have been received with gratitude...

A friend years ago had a ford Mondeo from around 2002 in age. In around 2010 the front spring broke at 30mph. Had it recovered and local garage replaced only the broken one!

I said to him to get the other front one done. Didn't and 2 months later other old front spring broke, but this time took out the tyre as well!

Had other spring done, then other parts started to fail like exhaust and then other issues. Part Exchanged shortly afterwards at around 120k. Another ford! A C max. Load of trouble, then a Vauxhall Meriva/Zafira again trouble. Now a land rover! 

I buy Japanese or and older RWD Volvo!

James.:thumbsup: