Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jack stand placement

sponchie

What is the best place to put a jack stand on a Auris Hybride 1.8 from 2010? The factory advised jack point in the front of the car is were the carjack goes to lift the car up so can't put a jack stand there. Tried to place the jack stands on the pinch welds on the side of the car (see picture) but those just bend very easily, not sure if that happened because of the jack stands or when trying to lift the car from there using a different car jack instead of the emergency jack that comes with the spare wheel which I think the pinch welds are designed for. I will try again with new car stands with a V shape that will go under the pinch welds in the hope it won't bend again even tho I don't want to risk it and prefer to place the stands somewhere else.

Anyone that can help with this?

Thank you 

thumbnail_20200801_020935.jpg

Mostly plastic cover and big bolts, anyone know a safe place to put the jack stands on?

thumbnail_20200801_020922.jpg 

Bend pinch welds

2020-08-01 02_45_03-20200801_023018 - Windows Photo Viewer.png

Factory advised jack points that I already use for the the car jack

Stands and jacks only on the marked points or risking serious damage, you can just set the jack just next to the jacking point towards the centre of the car so you can place stands on the points. Do not try to lift where front fenders are mounted as those are soft and bent easily, also anywhere else except specifically made jacking points, these cars are heavy and soft metal. 👍

3 hours ago, ziauris said:

Try the chassis legs (see pic)

auris jacking point.jpg

Thank you for your reply. There seems to be no visible "chassis leg". Just lots of plastic unfortunately.

20200801_165127.jpg

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

you can just set the jack just next to the jacking point towards the centre of the car so you can place stands on the points.

Do you mean the location that's marked in the red circle , on top of the round opening? Also would that mean that I can only use one jack stand?

20200801_1648231.jpg

36 minutes ago, sponchie said:

Do you mean the location that's marked in the red circle , on top of the round opening? Also would that mean that I can only use one jack stand?

20200801_1648231.jpg

The green circle only! 

Lift up the car with hydraulic jack set at the green circle from your pic, then secure the car with two jack stands under each side of the car where usual jack points are. That is the best . 

10 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

The problem with this method is you are most likely to bend the pinch welds. If you know a place underneath the car that is safe to place jack stands on besides the pinch welds let me know.

19 hours ago, sponchie said:

Thank you for your reply. There seems to be no visible "chassis leg". Just lots of plastic unfortunately.

20200801_165127.jpg

My auris has chassis legs on both sides

On 8/1/2020 at 11:02 PM, sponchie said:

The problem with this method is you are most likely to bend the pinch welds.

Depending on the axle stands, hard rubber pads with a slot to accomodate the pinch weld, are available at very little expense. I use a pair with my axle stands.

The stands are very similar to these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-VS2003-Ratchet-Capacity-Multicoloured/dp/B000RA4QAS/ref=lp_2486224031_1_11?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1596448767&sr=1-11

Used in conjunction with https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEDC-Universal-Slotted-Rubber-Protector/dp/B07CRKY15B/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1B5LWHOQ4365Y&dchild=1&keywords=axle+stand+rubber+pad&qid=1596449002&sprefix=axle+stand+%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-7

• Like 1

I use a hockey puck rubbers and work well, sometimes they get damaged but the seals of the car survived. Auris usually suffers from damaged seal especially on the front fenders , many garages doesn’t pay attention and they lift them up on the wrong points and got them damaged. If you look at autotrader half of the adverts the cars has that type of damage. 👍

12 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I use a hockey puck rubbers and work well,

Me too but only with a trolley jack when utilising the pinch weld lifting points or the "official" one at the front.