Sign in to follow this  
Douglasheld

Recommend a stereo replacement?

Posted (edited)

The market is awash with products and buzzwords. Most of the products I can find are emphasizing things I don't care about, like music amplifier wattage or entertainment video formats.

Would love anybody's real-world experience with upgrading the stock double-DIN stereo with something providing modern capabilities.

Features I am interested in:

• Sleepy driver warning
  • Reversing camera with steering wheel integration (i.e. showing the future track in the image)
  • Navigation with GPS receiver
  • Front and rear Dashcam integration

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by Douglasheld
clarity

21 minutes ago, Douglasheld said:

The market is awash with products and buzzwords. Most of the products I can find are emphasizing things I don't care about, like music amplifier wattage or entertainment video formats.

Would love anybody's real-world experience with upgrading the stock double-DIN stereo with something providing modern capabilities.

Features I am interested in:

• Sleepy driver warning
  • Reversing camera with steering wheel integration (i.e. showing the future track in the image)
  • Navigation with GPS radio
  • Front and rear dashcam integration

Thanks for any assistance.

Sleepy driver warning - if you mean facial recondition not a chance

Reversing camera with steering wheel integration (i.e. showing the future track in the image) - No chance

Navigation with GPS radio - not sure what you mean, DAB perhaps

Front and rear Dashcam integration - not unless you find a unit with 3 video inputs or use a video switcher, you will not find a HU that will be able to control a Dashcam e.g. playback

What is your budget ? £800-1500

Android auto or Apple carplay using the navigation from your phone is probably the most cost effective way but that relies on mobile data, if you don't have the maps locally you lose the navigation

11 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Navigation with GPS radio - not sure what you mean, DAB perhaps

Thanks, I edited my post for clarity. I mean that the device or kit includes a GPS receiver.

5 minutes ago, Douglasheld said:

Thanks, I edited my post for clarity. I mean that the device or kit includes a GPS receiver.

It comes with the New HU - unless you buy a HU that has an add-on sat nav module then it comes with the module

this will do about everything you need it too

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/alpine-ine-w720d-7-sat-nav-tomtom-apple-carplay-android-auto-dab-bluetooth-usb-hdmi-system

Thanks if you can recommend a particular product you think works well with the car.

Is "head unit" the name of the thing I should be shopping for, then?

I'm surprised you think sleepy driver warning is a deal breaker, since that kind of feature is included in dash cam units these days. Somehow I thought it might be more sensible however to integrate that into the system and then to just have dumb cameras. I guess I was thinking of this head unit as something like a CCTV recorder specific for cars.

HU - Head unit, aka a Radio, aka a Stereo

the technology you are talking about is integrated in to the car its self and requires its own processing, A HU is essentially an entertainment device - with likes of AA, AC and mirrorlink you can use your phones apps

Explanation of the terminology is really helpful. You've introduced two new terms now. AA = attention alerting perhaps? And what is AC? Certainly you don't mean air conditioning in this context....

22 hours ago, flash22 said:

Oh, I missed this the first time around. Thank you very much. The product description gives me the "hook" I need to search or inquire further:

Vehicle Data-Bus Connectivity

If your car is equipped with parking sensors, you can continue to use this convenient function with your INE-W720D. Alpine offers vehicle data-bus interfaces to connect your navigation system to your vehicle. This enables compatibility with your vehicle’s steering wheel control buttons, display of air conditioning settings as well parking sensor display. You can even see navigation turn-by-turn arrows in your multi-function display in the instrument cluster (if the vehicle supports it).

So, I think what I should be looking for is data bus interface. I will find out what data bus standard the 2009 Auris meets. I know there is some kind of plug available under the fusebox.

It's Can bus, but on a 2009 it may have an AVC Bus for the climate controls, parking sensors are a standalone system on the Yaris/Auris as for steering wheel controls they are the standard resistive type controls you just use the standard controls from the likes of Connects2 (CTCTY00C)

don't forget you will also need an aerial adapter and double din facia

• Like 1