Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommend a stereo replacement?

The market is awash with products and buzzwords. Most of the products I can find are emphasizing things I don't care about, like music amplifier wattage or entertainment video formats.

Would love anybody's real-world experience with upgrading the stock double-DIN stereo with something providing modern capabilities.

Features I am interested in:

• Sleepy driver warning
  • Reversing camera with steering wheel integration (i.e. showing the future track in the image)
  • Navigation with GPS receiver
  • Front and rear Dashcam integration

Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by Douglasheld
clarity

21 minutes ago, Douglasheld said:

The market is awash with products and buzzwords. Most of the products I can find are emphasizing things I don't care about, like music amplifier wattage or entertainment video formats.

Would love anybody's real-world experience with upgrading the stock double-DIN stereo with something providing modern capabilities.

• Sleepy driver warning
  • Reversing camera with steering wheel integration (i.e. showing the future track in the image)
  • Navigation with GPS radio
  • Front and rear dashcam integration

Sleepy driver warning - if you mean facial recondition not a chance

Reversing camera with steering wheel integration (i.e. showing the future track in the image) - No chance

Navigation with GPS radio - not sure what you mean, DAB perhaps

Front and rear Dashcam integration - not unless you find a unit with 3 video inputs or use a video switcher, you will not find a HU that will be able to control a Dashcam e.g. playback

What is your budget ? £800-1500

Android auto or Apple carplay using the navigation from your phone is probably the most cost effective way but that relies on mobile data, if you don't have the maps locally you lose the navigation

11 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Navigation with GPS radio - not sure what you mean, DAB perhaps

Thanks, I edited my post for clarity. I mean that the device or kit includes a GPS receiver.

5 minutes ago, Douglasheld said:

Thanks, I edited my post for clarity. I mean that the device or kit includes a GPS receiver.

It comes with the New HU - unless you buy a HU that has an add-on sat nav module then it comes with the module

this will do about everything you need it too

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/alpine-ine-w720d-7-sat-nav-tomtom-apple-carplay-android-auto-dab-bluetooth-usb-hdmi-system

Thanks if you can recommend a particular product you think works well with the car.

Is "head unit" the name of the thing I should be shopping for, then?

I'm surprised you think sleepy driver warning is a deal breaker, since that kind of feature is included in dash cam units these days. Somehow I thought it might be more sensible however to integrate that into the system and then to just have dumb cameras. I guess I was thinking of this head unit as something like a CCTV recorder specific for cars.

HU - Head unit, aka a Radio, aka a Stereo

the technology you are talking about is integrated in to the car its self and requires its own processing, A HU is essentially an entertainment device - with likes of AA, AC and mirrorlink you can use your phones apps

Explanation of the terminology is really helpful. You've introduced two new terms now. AA = attention alerting perhaps? And what is AC? Certainly you don't mean air conditioning in this context....

22 hours ago, flash22 said:

Oh, I missed this the first time around. Thank you very much. The product description gives me the "hook" I need to search or inquire further:

Vehicle Data-Bus Connectivity

If your car is equipped with parking sensors, you can continue to use this convenient function with your INE-W720D. Alpine offers vehicle data-bus interfaces to connect your navigation system to your vehicle. This enables compatibility with your vehicle’s steering wheel control buttons, display of air conditioning settings as well parking sensor display. You can even see navigation turn-by-turn arrows in your multi-function display in the instrument cluster (if the vehicle supports it).

So, I think what I should be looking for is data bus interface. I will find out what data bus standard the 2009 Auris meets. I know there is some kind of plug available under the fusebox.

It's Can bus, but on a 2009 it may have an AVC Bus for the climate controls, parking sensors are a standalone system on the Yaris/Auris as for steering wheel controls they are the standard resistive type controls you just use the standard controls from the likes of Connects2 (CTCTY00C)

don't forget you will also need an aerial adapter and double din facia

• 1 month later...

Conclusion

Thanks for your help. I'd like to circle back on what was a really bad question. I didn't know enough about modern cars to know what I was asking for. The details I figured out are:

ADAS - Advanced Driver Assistance System. ADAS is primarily concerned with outside influences like the traffic, but also can use various methods to monitor either the driver's body (eyeballs, fingertips) or the driver's behaviour (i.e. lane departure or just time spent driving without a break).

There is no single standard industry term to describe driver awareness alerting. It is just considered a feature subset within ADAS.

Driver alertness monitoring is a common feature of commercial vehicles and somewhat mature there, but in passenger vehicles the market is dominated by the car manufacturers who build a variety of proprietary protective features into their cars.

The industry leader for aftermarket ADAS for passenger vehicles at this point appears to be Comma http://comma.ai/ . They do not sell the software, but rather they contribute to the open source software and they sell a device that can run the software.  They also host a set of AI training data (i.e. information submitted from the behaviour of mostly American drivers on American roads) from which the AI device learns the "appropriate" way to drive. The device sells for $1000 and does not support cars with manual transmission - as it is primarily a self-driving modification. It does include driver monitoring, but not a win for me.

Headunits - The name "head unit" primarily means that it is a computer screen for the car. The screen is most often coming as the user interface for the entertainment features - as flash22 says - but if the screen is hooked up to a reversing camera then there is some level of ADAS provided thereby. In an aftermarket headunit, there is no integration with the driving components of the car. Some reversing cameras on the market calculate their own dynamic overlays, either through use of accelerometers or from processing the video feed itself.

GPS Navigation - the options here for an older car are one of:

• add a headunit with built-in navigation software like TomTom. The map information and maybe license have to be updated periodically. You also need to add on GPS radio receiver hardware and install that in a suitable location.
  • add a headunit with support for mobile phone integration. You attach your phone to the headunit and your phone's apps, including navigation software, is displayed on the touch screen and integrated with the car's speaker system.
    • Apple CarPlay is one standard, only working with Apple phones
    • Android Auto is a competing standard, only working with Android phones
    • A vendor independent solution called WebLink Cast

I went with the second option and installed the Sony AXV-AX100, a discontinued headunit model that supports both Android Auto and CarPlay. They are selling on the second hand market from between £150 and £300.

Video integration - There is virtually no integration of video signals by the headunit manufacturers. All the devices do is to display video which is piped into an input port. I have found a few security monitoring solutions that do integrate the video. They tend to do this without a screen. You can search for "Car DVR" to find these. They usually have some level of physical security and multiple video signal inputs. The purpose being, CCTV monitoring of a vehicle.

It seems to me, the market is wide open for someone to sell a truly integrated single unit - focused not on entertainment but on adding modern vehicle capabilities into one device with a single user interface. Dashcam, digital video recorder, navigation, vehicle monitoring, driver monitoring and alerting, and of course self driving capabilities. All of this stuff is available but in separate devices, with USB cables all over the car.

Edited by Douglasheld
clarity

On 8/1/2020 at 3:01 PM, Douglasheld said:

• Sleepy driver warning
  • Navigation with GPS receiver
  • Front and rear dashcam integration

• Sleepy driver warning        --- No
  • Reversing camera with steering wheel integration (i.e. showing the future track in the image)   --- Simple Reversing camera yes, no wheel integration
  • Navigation with GPS receiver  --- Yes
  • Front and rear Dashcam integration --- Maybe if the headunit has multiple inputs. otherwise you need a video switch 

i have sway warning on my lexus but its not great

if your going straight ahead and dont turn the steering wheel

you end up having a warning TAKE A BREAK appearing on the display

it is something i can certainly live without and your not missing much