Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla, PHV or something else...

Nicolai

Hi all,

As most of you probably know by now, I quite like the 1.8 TS. However, as my cars are cars for disabled drivers partly founded by my municipality, I must keep the car for 8 years before I am entitled to a replacement.

All in all, this is fair enough. In this day and age, keep your car maintained and it will last well over eight years easily.

Thing is, as we all know, today is a bad time to buy a car as a long term investment due to new technologies like SS batteries and more charges for EV vehicles in the horizon.

So, I want my future car as economical as possible, hence, why I'm giving the PHV  a chance. Part on my driving pattern fits a PHV like a glove as I need my car for short (2-5 miles) shopping trips, going to the physio for training etc.

Currently unemployed for several years,  I have no real commute, and when I used my current Auris the most for commuting, its mileage, including leisure and other daily life transport, would have equaled 12,500 miles a year.  The lowest annual mileage I have done has been a mere 3,500!

The cost of the charging stand alone (over a period of eight years) would amount to the same cost that I've spent on fuel covering 44,700 miles in my current Auris over a period of seven years!

I went and sat in a Prius PHV at my dealer - feels lower than the Corolla (non Trek Edition)? Is this true? Ideally, I'd actually like something higher than my current Auris (equivalent in height to the Corolla Trek) as I have a weak and sore back sometimes.

Between the PHV and the Corolla, I favour the Corolla as I really like the boot size of my TS for weekend travels. Also, I much prefer the cabin of the Corolla as it's more "normal".

As my father has said: son, the proper, practical car that needs an extra refueling is far better than the impractical car that doesn't.

I guess the most practical car for me would be the Corolla Cross but not sure it'll be out in Europe. The RAV4 is of course better than the Corolla. Alas, even the cheapest hybrid model is way out of my price range.

What other options due I have for a bulletproof and economical, automatic petrol car? Not many it seems, sigh!

The Research Institute for Disabled Consumers provide some useful information on car accessibility, including seat heights, etc - see their reviews of the Prius and Corolla Touring Sport:

https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/choosing-car/car/prius-18-hybrid-5dr-hatch-2019

https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-reviews/out-and-about/choosing-car/car/corolla-touring-sports-20-hybrid-5dr-estate-2019

• Like 2

Thanks. Cool - will check.

Edit: well, based on those numbers - the Corolla appear to have the higher seating position and ease  on entrance and exit....

Makes sence as the design of the Prius is more aerodynamic (hence, probably also lower).

• Like 1

Corolla trek or standard touring sport is best option. 1.8 hybrid is great for your needs , even though there is no plug the car will deliver great economy and no trouble of plugging in, get the car with max 17” wheels, 18” are only beautiful but hard and noisy ride, not as comfortable. 

The Trek would have the same height as my current Auris. But it's more money and I can't stand the fake, "wooden dash". Also, I'm really irritated that it does 6 mpg less that the regular TS. Not having the Trek specs next to me, I wonder if this is due to larger wheels?