Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EV / HV mode in Prius Plug In 2015 ?

HSDish

Notised, when I drove our Prius Plug In 2015 at a small, level road  and got about 11 km (6.835 miles I think) left to go in EV mode ( according to the car computer) I switched to HV mode to save EV Battery, and drove for about 1 km ( 0.62 miles) with EV ikon uplighted at HV mode, but… the total EV mode left to go did decrease 1 km ( 0.62 miles) anyway.

How come?

( If You can understand my messy wrighting. Apologize)

When you switch to HV mode, the engine is cold and has to start its warm up cycle. In the earliest stages of the warm-up cycle, the car is still mostly propelled by the electric motor (just like with other hybrids) and is therefore drawing on the Battery. Depending on how cold it is and the road conditions (uphill, wet etc) then you might lose a mile or even more off the range even after switching to HV.

This behaviour is 'normal'. It's also why it makes no sense to switch to HV mode for short periods of time in order to 'save' Battery charge. Only do that for extended distances.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

When you switch to HV mode, the engine is cold and has to start its warm up cycle. In the earliest stages of the warm-up cycle, the car is still mostly propelled by the electric motor (just like with other hybrids) and is therefore drawing on the battery. Depending on how cold it is and the road conditions (uphill, wet etc) then you might lose a mile or even more off the range even after switching to HV.

This behaviour is 'normal'. It's also why it makes no sense to switch to HV mode for short periods of time in order to 'save' battery charge. Only do that for extended distances.

Thanks. I'll think about that.

I use to switch to HV mode when I drive some 50 km (31 miles I think) at highway speed , 110km/h (68.3mph I think) and it works well. (saves EV Battery charge but no uplighted Ev ikon cause of to hight speed, though. but thats normal )

Manually switching to HV mode is a good thing, and is key to getting the best overall economy. You just have to make sure you're going to run in HV mode for a good while so the engine warms up and you get the benefit. Doing it for a couple of miles will have a negative effect.

I have hugely improved economy this year by changing when I switch to HV on my commute. Last summer, I used to do almost all of the outbound in EV and almost all of the return in HV. This maximised the number of miles I got in EV mode, which was what I was chasing then. I think my best was a real 38 miles in EV, starting with an indicated 42. This year I have been chasing overall economy, and have maintained my winter switching schedule which balances EV across outbound and return. Whilst I find this means I am travelling a few miles less in pure EV mode, overall daily economy has actually gone up significantly. Last summer I would usually get 150-180mpg across the 65 mile total, only once managing to hit 199.9mpg on a nice warm lucky traffic day. Since May, I've been hitting 199.9mpg every day unless it's very wet or unusually cold. I think this is because I am now 'spending' my EV miles where they are most needed - on the initial uphill and stop-start sections of the return journey which used to hammer ICE economy when I was in HV mode.

I appreciate your Gen1 doesn't have the EV budget of my Gen2, but on regular routine journeys I would suggest it's still worth experimenting with when and where to switch. It's all part of the fun of these cars!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On long journeys I tend to save EV mode for lower speed sections, especially 60 km/h (40 MPH) or below.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

Manually switching to HV mode is a good thing, and is key to getting the best overall economy. You just have to make sure you're going to run in HV mode for a good while so the engine warms up and you get the benefit. Doing it for a couple of miles will have a negative effect.

I have hugely improved economy this year by changing when I switch to HV on my commute. Last summer, I used to do almost all of the outbound in EV and almost all of the return in HV. This maximised the number of miles I got in EV mode, which was what I was chasing then. I think my best was a real 38 miles in EV, starting with an indicated 42. This year I have been chasing overall economy, and have maintained my winter switching schedule which balances EV across outbound and return. Whilst I find this means I am travelling a few miles less in pure EV mode, overall daily economy has actually gone up significantly. Last summer I would usually get 150-180mpg across the 65 mile total, only once managing to hit 199.9mpg on a nice warm lucky traffic day. Since May, I've been hitting 199.9mpg every day unless it's very wet or unusually cold. I think this is because I am now 'spending' my EV miles where they are most needed - on the initial uphill and stop-start sections of the return journey which used to hammer ICE economy when I was in HV mode.

I appreciate your Gen1 doesn't have the EV budget of my Gen2, but on regular routine journeys I would suggest it's still worth experimenting with when and where to switch. It's all part of the fun of these cars!

I agree!

As You may remember (I got many good advices and info. from You) I did test a used Prius Plug In 2017 model some mounths ago. Got a verry good price at my local dealer but…

the Prius Plug In Gen 2  is a little bit to low for my weak back, overweighted and untrained body but it got me motivated to try to lose some (of mine) body weight , decrease my beer consumption and start regular (several times a week) exercise and long walks. Started out in mid May but it, sort of ,faded out 😊  only have lost about 2 kg ( 4.6 lb I think) so far.

Thought that maybe this will favor /easen to enter /exit (exit is my main problem), I did even follow your advice and bought and tested ”Your device”

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N0SVAZW/ but it didn’ help enough.

The Prius Plug In Gen 2 would suite my/our drive scedule for one and two person trips in a nice way. even better than our Prius PHEV 2015 Gen 1, though our 2015 gen 1 is a nice car as well and I really like it and would love to be able to increase it’s EV range

22 hours ago, QuantumFireball said:

On long journeys I tend to save EV mode for lower speed sections, especially 60 km/h (40 MPH) or below.

Thanks for Your advice.

Ill test that too

If you have the hybrid assistant app you can see how the petrol engine and electric motor interact at the different warm up stages.  Using this knowledge and knowing your trip, you can plan when to switch to HV mode for better economy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johalareewi said:

If you have the hybrid assistant app you can see how the petrol engine and electric motor interact at the different warm up stages.  Using this knowledge and knowing your trip, you can plan when to switch to HV mode for better economy.

Ohh. Thanks .Sounds interesting! Where can I find " the hybrid assistant app" ?

It's an Android app, on the Google Play Store. You'll need a suitable bluetooth OBD-II scanner for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QuantumFireball said:

It's an Android app, on the Google Play Store. You'll need a suitable Bluetooth OBD-II scanner for it.

Thanks.

Found this ”no name” bluetooth OBD-II scanner (adapter) . Costs 349.90 sek (about 30.6 GBP I think).

Do You think that will work or do You have any other suggestions?

https://www.kjell.com/se/produkter/el-verktyg/biltillbehor/obd-2/obd-2-adapter-for-bluetooth-p48861?gclid=CjwKCAjw1K75BRAEEiwAd41h1EyHr8k6CkTb_pUPbs7HgKf166IEUxwCTNZ9dSrHpWJ3XIVheVKW-RoC6rUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On 8/6/2020 at 4:28 PM, HSDish said:

Thanks.

Found this ”no name” bluetooth OBD-II scanner (adapter) . Costs 349.90 sek (about 30.6 GBP I think).

Do You think that will work...

Unlikely.  You need a good quality one otherwise the app can't get the readings fast enough or reliably enough.

There is also the hybrid reporter app.  You can have hybrid assistant log your drive then the reporter can analyse the data.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2020 at 7:16 PM, johalareewi said:

Unlikely.  You need a good quality one otherwise the app can't get the readings fast enough or reliably enough.

There is also the hybrid reporter app.  You can have hybrid assistant log your drive then the reporter can analyse the data.

On 8/7/2020 at 10:29 AM, QuantumFireball said:

Please see the recommended devices here: http://hybridassistant.blogspot.com/p/obd.html

It's showing a lot of data in real time (and also logging it) so you need a good quality fast adaptor.

Thanks. I'll check this out

Can't find any Swedish dealer for those OBDLink LX  maybe just available at e buy