Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catalytic converter theft on new models?

DiscoBiscuit

Hi,

We test drove a new 1.8 Corolla recently, and were considering making an order, however I've been put off slightly by the recent increase of thefts of catalytic converters.

The main reason we'd be looking at a Toyota is for the reliability, but that's pointless if someone is likely to come along and take an electric saw to it while unattended.

I did read that it's more common on the older versions of the vehicles, but was wondering if anyone has any figures / experience of these issues with the more recent versions?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

It's different on the Corolla, it's higher up and covered by a couple of beams and the lower undertrays, not seen one stolen on a new Corolla. I'm not saying it can't be done but I think it's a whole load more difficult, lets not forget these scroats want a quick get away, not messing about under the car for too long 

• Like 5

I think the 1.8 has easier access (I could be wrong) but the amount of precious metals is lower. Last I heard Corolla were not currently being targeted. I parked mine in Birmingham airport for a week earlier this year but did take the precaution of removing the hybrid Badge from the rear.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had my cat converter stolen from under my Auris Hybrid. Waiting for repairs and catlock fitting - about £1500 probably! Insurance co. already said my premium will go up by £150ish! I heard about Toyota new electric models to come out in 2020. Maybe worth changing ASAP. Anyone else heard about the all-electric models from Toyota|?

23 minutes ago, GJGriffiths said:

Anyone else heard about the all-electric models from Toyota|?

What i've heard from toyota about electric cars are the new solid state batteries that they are developing alongside panasonic. Solid state batteries can hold about 7 times as much energy as the li-ion batteries and go for 1000 km on a single charge, but they say it will be put in electric toyota vehicles by 2025 so we'll have to wait and see. One disadvantage that solid state batteries have is that they have to operate in higher temperatures in order to be efficient so i don't know how they will deal with that in colder countries, perhaps some sort of heating system? I think we've opened up a discussion that is not part of this thread, perhaps a new topic should be opened about this.

• Like 1

As regards EV's, Toyota has the electric C-HR for China which will be/was launched sometime in 2020, although changes in Chinese legislation has lessened the pressure to launch this. A two seat urban car and van which will launch late 2020 - probably for the Japanese Domestic Market. They're also co-developing an electric SUV with Subaru for launch in 2021.

So back to the topic please - catalytic convertor theft - or start a new topic in General Discussions.

• Like 3

Thanks for that link, FrostyBalls. Hopefully, I won't need that little EV runabout for a couple of years yet! Regards, the Corolla Hybrid - when I asked about it at RRG they said that it is now supplied with a catlock fitted when delivered. So, it confirms that the manufacturers have known about the theft of cat converters from Prius and Auris for sometime. What a pity I didn't know when I bought it! I would have had one fitted before delivery in that case.  As regards removing the hybrid Badge when you park it, that can't be that easy surely? Vandals will love it if so!

Hi, you can remove all hybrid badges and the blue tint on the Toyota emblem on the rear permanently,  throw a blanket over the gear selector and use sun blinds to mask the interior. They can still run a number plate check but in general thieves are looking for badges and signs that tells them it’s a hybrid. There is however bad news, they also target standard Toyota cars just because the cats are easily accessible. If you do the badges and emblems do not alter the front one as you may have sensors built in. 
Regards 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, you can remove all hybrid badges and the blue tint on the Toyota emblem on the rear permanently,  throw a blanket over the gear selector and use sun blinds to mask the interior. They can still run a number plate check but in general thieves are looking for badges and signs that tells them it’s a hybrid. There is however bad news, they also target standard Toyota cars just because the cats are easily accessible. If you do the badges and emblems do not alter the front one as you may have sensors built in. 
Regards 

And what about the exhaust pipe while your at it. The twin tailpipe on the 2.0 Corolla is a dead give away it's a hybrid, that's asuming the thieves have had a look at a Corolla brochure recently.

Anything on a late registration has to be a hybrid - they don't sell anything else. 1.2T lasted under a year...

12 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

Anything on a late registration has to be a hybrid - they don't sell anything else. 1.2T lasted under a year...

In the UK, yes. However the 1.2T is still available in some other European countries.

Guys, do you really think thieves are so smart?, No, they are not, some may have bit of knowledge but majority only look for hybrid Badge or whatever they been told by the man who buys the cats from them, knowing that from first hand source. 👍

On 8/19/2020 at 3:34 PM, TonyHSD said:

remove all hybrid badges and the blue tint on the Toyota emblem on the rear permanently

1.8 Corolla on order...

Blue tint on rear Badge, never noticed, is that on all Toy Hybrids? How do you take it off?

Also, I can't find reports anywhere online of Corolla's having been targetted for Cat theft.

My dealer has said that the 2L AND 1.8 Corolla Hybrid are different so the Cat isn't as easily accessible - don't know the truth to this?

He also said that the two service centres he talked to have never had a "2019 onwards Corolla Hybrid" in for having a Cat nicked? Maybe this is due to the lower precious metal content in newer hybrids rather than Cat placement. Toyota say precious metals have "over the years..reduced by up to 84%".

The Corolla has a different set up, much more difficult to remove, I have not seen one stolen on a Corolla. 

Do NOT remove the front Badge, it forms part of the pre collision system and could have safety consequences 

I have removed the badges for aesthetic reasons (not the Toyota emblem on boot lid) and was wondering if I should take the hybrid on the front wings off? Anyone done it before? If so is it just like the rear badges? Don't want to take it off and it exposes holes or something 

I would be very, very surprised if there were any holes underneath, not least because as that would mean a different wing was needed for the hybrid model. 

On the Auris HSD there were definitely no holes on the wing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TazUddin said:

I have removed the badges for aesthetic reasons (not the Toyota emblem on boot lid) and was wondering if I should take the hybrid on the front wings off? Anyone done it before? If so is it just like the rear badges? Don't want to take it off and it exposes holes or something 

I might do that, how did you manage it?

Also, I only test drove the 2L, what is the 1.8 like on motorway and overtaking etc?

Just heat them with hairdryer a bit and remove, they are stick with double sided tape , clean the residue afterwards with glass cleaner or something suitable for the paintwork. Car will look cleaner without any badges and interested ppl will wonder if it’s hybrid or not. Thieves will just drive pass hopefully. 👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HybridLover said:

I might do that, how did you manage it?

I used dental floss but it took about half an hour and I didn't manage to remove all the glue.

The 1.8 is absolutely fine for all normal and reasonable purposes. I don't accept this modern fascination for power. You can navigate Britain's roads perfectly well with a lot less than 100hp. The Corolla has more power than that and consequently far more power than any competent driver actually needs. There's enough surplus power to allow for a little fun. You'll keep up with anything short of a rabid BMW or Audi and the sooner they naff off into the distance the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Use dental floss and heat gun. What i did was use a blunt piece of thin plastic and some glue remover to remove the sticky residue. And then used t cut and a polish with cloth to finish it off. Looks clean

20190914_135320.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TazUddin said:

Use dental floss and heat gun. What i did was use a blunt piece of thin plastic and some glue remover to remove the sticky residue. And then used t cut and a polish with cloth to finish it off. Looks clean

20190914_135320.jpg

Do you have much take up for auto driving lessons? More cost effective to do manual and then you have both on your licence.