Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake pedal travel.

peter.ling24@gmail.com

Good morning all,

I have a 2005 2.2d Avensis.

Since lockdown the car has had very little use although once a week I drive it round the block without any concerns.

Recently the car was driven 500 miles and during the drive home, I had to brake suddenly and the brakes didn't operate that we'll.

The pedal rather than being rock solid, depressed significantly with poor braking action.

I have checked the brake fluid reservoir and it is just slightly below the full line. I depressed the pedal this morning and the brake pedal depressed about half way before pumping up.

During our long driving trip the weather was hot and we were stuck in several very long traffic jams.

No! We did not go to the seaside! Could the heat be a contributing factor?

I would appreciate any suggestions as to the possible cause of this.

Thanks

Peter.

Hi,

I wouldn't overlook this known problem allowing a fluid leak:-

I once suddenly lost all brake fluid on an old VW and took a trip along the pavement rather than skittling people crossing the road. No damage apart to my nerves. Strangely it was a baking hot summer day. The master cylinder seal had gone, in the days  before split systems.

I would checl all the wheel cylinders, pipes etc  for leakage as you can get a tiny leak that pulls in more air than leaks fluid and then very soft brakes as air is not a good hydraulic fluid!

Thanks Keith for your reply,

I started doing as you suggest with inspecting the rear brakes and hydraulic pipes. I intended to move to the front but unfortunately I came over all dizzy. Not really the weather for outside repairs.

I've left the car with a trusted garage and am waiting to hear from them.

I'll post the results.

Appreciate your reply.

Peter.

45 minutes ago, peter.ling24@gmail.com said:

Thanks Keith for your reply,

I started doing as you suggest with inspecting the rear brakes and hydraulic pipes. I intended to move to the front but unfortunately I came over all dizzy. Not really the weather for outside repairs.

I've left the car with a trusted garage and am waiting to hear from them.

I'll post the results.

Appreciate your reply.

Peter.

Could have been the heat, also could have been lack of fluid intake. Keep drinking water in this weather.

Sounds like brake master cyclender or u have leak somewhere brake line

Maybe u should change up to 12 plate avensis d4d there far better looking car very cheap now too buy better car I can say because I had both models 

Thanks guys for your reply,

Appreciate your care and concern. I've had this car so long now that I have grown attached to it. I know that's rather emotional and sentimental, but last year, I had 4 reconditioned Denso injectors fitted and it's running beautifully. The bodywork is in good condition for its age and it pulls our caravan, when we can use it, without any fuss. Also gives in my opinion excellent MPH. 

So you can see I am reluctant to replace it.

I've received no information from the garage yet, but will let you know the verdict.

Appreciate your replies.

Regards

Peter.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:31 AM, Gerg said:

Hi,

I wouldn't overlook this known problem allowing a fluid leak:-

That was the pipe that failed on mine,on the M1 in third lane,luckily i was in heavyish traffic at the time or it could have been fatal,anyone who hasn't checked their brake pipes in this area i would suggest you get it done.