Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed Limiter ?

152bobby

Ok, is it just me ? What is the point of the speed limiter in my daughter's Aygo ?

Wouldn't they have been better just giving it cruise control or nothing.

I really cannot think of a situation when I would use this.

During my weekly "give my daughter's car a once over and test drive" I used it and found it dangerous rather than useful.

Motorway roadworks where a temporary speed limit is in force backed up by average speed enforcement cameras.

Where I live, there are also average speed enforcement cameras on the main routes into the city.

• Like 1

My last Prius and current RAV4 have both Speed Limiter and cruise control.  I do find the speed limiter very useful under certain circumstances, mainly in 20 mph zones, or 30 zones where traffic and/or obstacles make cruise control unsuitable (particularly as on the Prius and previous Toyotas the cruise control lowest set speed was 26 or 28 mph).

If you need to accelerate quickly because of a situation and can't quickly press the cancel button/lever you can floor the accelerator momentarily and then the limiter is disabled.

I find it so useful i actually avoided buying a 10 month old 5,000 mile Lexus RX that my dealer was selling a couple of years ago (it had been their MD's car and was £10k below the nearly £60k new price) because while it had almost every accessory imaginable (many of which I'd dearly love) it didn't have a speed limiter, much to my amazement.  If it had, I'd have snapped it up like a shot.

Oddly too, while I often harp on about all the features available in some other markets (especially US) on the current model RAV4, one thign they don't get is the speed limited, which again I find very odd.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links