Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stiff hatch warning

RabButler

I spent about 30mins with the hatch open this morning as I was loading up for a tip run. When I tried to shut the hatch it got progressively stiffer until the halfway point and then it wouldn't go any further. It took a good couple of minutes of repeatedly raising and lowering the hatch before operations returned to normal. I don't know if the ambient temperature had anything to do with it, pretty hot and in the direct sun, but the struts appeared to seize up and as the hatch is largely glass and plastic it would be pretty easy to break it you put a lot of weight on it?

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my car?

Ring MrT. With a car that new you shouldn't have issues like that surely

No, not experienced that at all. I notice if the hatch is left open for half an hour, it becomes hard to shut, but I assumed that is a quirk of the spring / damper system, as I am sure my last car did the same thing.

But never had it get so bad that it would not go any further.

It is a hard hatch to shut though, maybe because it is light? I find it hard to close in one sweep using the finger grip point, and often get it so far, and have to slam it closed with hand on the outside paintwork.

I always close it with my hand on the outside, i think i've used the inside point once but found it kind of uncomfortable to close. Perhaps lots of pressure was built inside of the gas struts because the hatch was left open for a long time?

I am finding this as well, if you leave open for a length of time it is very difficult to close. I charged my 12 volt a couple of times because of lack of use. First time hard to close. Ok Again when closed a couple of times. So I now pull lid down when charging, not completely shut of course because of cable. It is not easy to close using the inside grab. My previous car was a heavier lid and one tug on the grab Point and it closed easily. One of the very few complaints about the car I have. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links