Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Icon Hybrid USB port

brissle

Hi everyone,

Am new to this forum - we just collected our new 2020 Yaris Hybrid 1.5  ICON today.

Everything great so far - am sure we'll have more questions, but firstly we found that when we plugged the iPhone into the USB port, it would not charge......

We have successfully paired the phone with the car and that appears fine.  The charge cable is one that works at home.

So is there something we've missed? 

Would be grateful for advice.

Welcome to the forum.

The USB port only provides power etc with the hybrid system running, or when in accessory mode.

If you still have a problem, and as your car is new, go back to Toyota.  Our hybrid is six years old now, and still in warranty as we bought another couple of years, so I wouldn't hesitate to get back to Toyota with any problem or niggle.

Mick.

The USB port is not specifically a charger but a connection to the headunit and whilst it does provide a power source it is usually too low for a modern smart phone to recognise a charge. 

When I connect my iPhone 11 it does charge ( slowly ) however it does not recognise a charger is attached and does not show the charging symbol

Thanks both - understood.

What we'll do is to use the adjacent 12v socket with a USB adaptor plugged in, as we did in the previous car.

We didn't have the luxury of a USB socket in that car....

Am grateful for your advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2016 Yaris Hybrid, and it has an USB socket and an AUX socket. I have an iPhone 6, which acts as an iPod as soon as I connect it to the USB. This means that you can control the music playback with the buttons in your steering wheel, and it even shows album covers in the display of the radio unit.

However, there is one major drawback with this: The current of the USB socket is too low to charge the iPhone. A standard USB socket is rated with 5 volt and 500 mAh, which gives a maximum of 2.5 Watt. In order to charge an iPhone you need at least 1,000 mAh. So I bought an USB charging plug with two USB sockets, one is rated with some 1,100 mAh, the other with 2,100 mAh. Plugging in the phone in this plug will charge it rather fast, after about one hour the phone is fully charged. Besides that I connect my phone via bluetooth to the car stereo. This not only gives me full access to the music stored on the phone, I can also listen to Spotify music streaming and Google maps navigation commands. And the phone isl linked to the handsfree phone system of the car, so I can use the phone without having to touch it.

And the USB socket? I have plugged in a memory stick and stored some 500 MP3 song files on it. So I have two music libraries in my car. One observation: If I listen to music from the MP3 stick, it seems to have a slightly higher quality than the music from my phone via bluetooth.

Best regards from Bavaria
Frank

• 10 months later...

I have a new 21 reg Yaris Dynamic Hybrid but it does not have a 12v Aux port.

Exactly.  It has a 12V aux port that is powered only if car is in ACC o READY mode. 

In any case the USB port can easiliy charge a smarphone, even if more slowly.

I put a 2 usb adaptor in the 12v cig lighter (auxiliary) and it feeds both my dash cam and mobile phone. When necessary I use my phone for sat nav (Waze) and the usb charges my phone up whilst running Waze. No problem.

i can't find the exact specs but some gen 4's have a 2.1a usb charging port

• 8 months later...

Hi My mum has a Yaris cross 2022 and I want to know she has a usb stick with all her music on and she has too much to upload to her phone. S

sometimes she will need to use android assist for her sat nav. If i get a splitter cable for her will she be able to run both at the same time? 

1 hour ago, jtaylorj1979 said:

Hi My mum has a Yaris cross 2022 and I want to know she has a usb stick with all her music on and she has too much to upload to her phone. S

sometimes she will need to use android assist for her sat nav. If i get a splitter cable for her will she be able to run both at the same time? 

In a word, NO the phone will take priority

The Yaris Cross supports Android Auto wireless. 

Maybe connecting AA in wireless mode you can continue to use the USB port for an USB stick with audio files.  I say maybe because my Yaris has not wireless AA so I can use it only in wired mode.

In wired mode, connecting an AA enabled smartphone disables USB host functionalities ( so your stick will be not recognized ).  

If you connect two sticks ( and not an AA enabed smarphone ) with an USB hub you can see two USB sources and you can switch between each oher.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links