Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dimensions query

AndrueC

Hi, I'm considering switching from a 2019 Corolla Hatchback to a 2020 Prius PHEV. I need to be able to park it in my garage and whilst the extra length is no problem and it's slightly narrower I need to know the distance from the front bumper to the back edge of the front door. I have a pillar in my garage that is 3m from the back wall so the rear edge of the front doors must be less than this otherwise I won't be able to open the door enough to get out.

So basically I'm looking for bumper depth+wing length+door length.

Thanks.

Difficult to measure accurately, but by my tape measure it looks to be about 2.5 m, including the slope back to the top of the door, so I would say 2.6 m would clear it, so 3 m is plenty. 👍

I make it 265cm. I think the PHV is longer than the Gen 4 Ordinaire and has quite a jutting spoiler, which may explain the difference between my measurements and Keith's. He is right that it's hard to get it accurate though. Either way, it's definitely nowhere near 3m so you should be fine.

It's also good that unlike most other EVs and PHEVs, the Prius PHV has its charging socket on the correct side of the car for RHD (i.e. the driver's side) which can be an important consideration if charging in a garage!

• Like 2

Thanks, guys sounds like it would fit then. I'm still undecided though as (a)it's basically wasting money and more importantly (b)the reduced boot capacity might be a problem. I need to be able to carry a full set of golf equipment including trolley. But you've been very helpful.

I'm not a golfer so I can't test that for you! The boots space looks OK when you open the hatch as it's quite a wide and long space - it's when you try to close the lid you realise just how  shallow it is, as a result of the raised floor. I think a trolley would need to fold up to be quite 'flat' for it to fit in.

Moving from a standard hybrid which is already economical to the PHV can't be justified on a financial basis, but then few car purchases can without appropriate application of man-maths. Whether the money would be considered 'wasted' perhaps depends on the pleasure you might derive from driving in EV mode. I find it far more pleasurable than ICE propulsion, although that also makes it something of a gateway drug to BEV ownership which could mess up the finances further!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kithmo said:

oops, I messed up

So do you need to change your profile from the Prius.

Well this is what I currently have:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3CBREdUVMyjKd6GZA

Minimum height would be 340mm for bag and 400m to include the axle of the trolley but it's possible that the slightly longer boot might mean the trolley could go more flat.

And thinking about it the axle does sometimes foul the cover when closing. One website says the PHEV loses 110mm of boot height so that implies it wouldn't be enough for me.

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So do you need to change your profile from the Prius.

Still got the Gen 4, should I add the MG ZS EV ?

Can do - I show both of ours.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:48 AM, AndrueC said:

Thanks, guys sounds like it would fit then. I'm still undecided though as (a)it's basically wasting money and more importantly (b)the reduced boot capacity might be a problem. I need to be able to carry a full set of golf equipment including trolley. But you've been very helpful.

If You're thinking about Toyota Plug In but don't think that Prius Plug In gen 2 will fit Your needs You maybe should consider Prius Plug In gen 1. 

Not so modern and efficent as Gen 2 ( shorter EV range) but higher and with bigger boot space. ( bigger than 2019 Corolla Hatch )

so If You drive most shorter trips and can find an top trim level 2016 model You'll get an quite cost/fuel/energy efficent and decent car

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links