Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking for a yaris as my first car!

J_58

Hey there so I’m quite a young car enthusiast, turning 17 soon and I’m looking to buy a Yaris as my first car. I would preferably like a 2014+ model with the facelift front and I was wondering if there’s anything I should look out for or any must have features? Also I do not want a CVT I’m looking at getting a full auto 1.33 petrol. The thing that confuses me is how to tell which models are CVT and which aren’t when looking at listings online. As some say CVT in the description with nothing to really show in the name. I did notice a Mdrive/multidrive in the name of a few and I’m wondering if that suggests it’s a full auto? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Think you may be confusing the CVT (full auto) with the previous Multi Mode Transmission (MMT). The MMT is a manual gearbox with automated clutch - so not a true automatic - and this was used in the second generation Yaris (2006-2011)

The third generation Yaris (2011 onwards) came with the CVT (which Toyota call 'Multidrive S') for the non hybrid or e-CVT (hybrid) - both of which are fully automatic transmissions.

Go CVT for the "full" auto...I doubt you could do better than the Yaris for your first car..excellent choice.

I was looking at the multidrives yeah. I am just looking for an automatic with multiple gears. I’ve seen some of them come with paddle shifters which is nice too. What confuses me is in this advert it says it’s CVT : https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007080991191?advertising-location=at_cars&transmission=Automatic&homeDeliveryAdverts=include&year-from=2014&postcode=W36PZ&model=YARIS&sort=price-asc&page=1&make=TOYOTA&fuel-type=Petrol&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New this is from Toyota. What I don’t want is a single speed so I’m not sure if that is what it is referring to. By full auto I meant an automatic with multiple gears. Yeah I think I was talking about the multidrive S btw which was confusing.... thanks for the help!

Anecdotally, it is a shame that many manufacturers chose to mix metaphors when it comes to the term "CVT" because, in the automotive world, it can mean two completely different things. CVT originally meant "Constant Velocity Transmission" (think belts & pulleys etc) but now it more commonly means "Continuously Variable Transmission" which can actually be applied to just about any form of transmission if you think about it...

Same with Toyota. TSS was used for Toyota Security System, now used for Toyota Safety Sense.

Absolutely! 🤣 Is it any wonder why the general public sometimes gets confused!? 😉

Ahaha yeah true, so the multidrive yaris is a normal auto with several gears if I’m correct? 

"Normal Auto" used to mean "Torque Converter + Automatic Gearbox". The Multidrive Yaris uses a manual gearbox with an electronically controlled clutch which is not quite the same thing... However, in direct answer to your question, yes it has several actual gears.

Ahhhh I see... that’s quite interesting I’ll have too do some more research! Thanks for your help though. I Still got a lot to learn hahaha

Are you aware that if you buy an automatic (any type without a clutch pedal) and you you pass your test in an automatic, you'll only be licensed to drive automatics?

Toyota don't do a yaris with a traditional automatic on the 3 gen they are cvt aka Multidrive or the hybrid use the eCvt

Toyota's cvt is a decent gearbox unlike the nissan and ford offerings

the only small car with a traditional auto of that age would be the Corsa

1. Get your licence

2. Find insurance, the 1.3 yaris can be in a high group 8-10, its not going to be cheap for a young new driver don't be surprised at quotes between 2 and 6 grand

There are also the Hyundai i10 1.2, the i20 1.4 (both the 2008-2014 and 2015 onwards) and the Kia Rio 1.4 with conventional torque converter automatics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Are you aware that if you buy an automatic (any type without a clutch pedal) and you you pass your test in an automatic, you'll only be licensed to drive automatics?

Haha of course, I’ll be doing my test in a manual however. I want my first car to be an automatic as I’ll be sharing it with my mum and also just personal preference haha.

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Toyota don't do a yaris with a traditional automatic on the 3 gen they are cvt aka Multidrive or the hybrid use the eCvt

Toyota's cvt is a decent gearbox unlike the nissan and ford offerings

the only small car with a traditional auto of that age would be the Corsa

1. Get your licence

2. Find insurance, the 1.3 yaris can be in a high group 8-10, its not going to be cheap for a young new driver don't be surprised at quotes between 2 and 6 grand

Yeah I’ve been looking around at quotes but the polo and the Yaris seem to be the cheapest autos to insure for me at least. I would much rather the Yaris as my mum has an older generation and it’s incredibly reliable and I just like the equipment it comes with. However the CVT thing might be a dealbreaker... I guess I’ll have to sit in one on a test drive and see if I like it. I know I haven’t even owned a car yet but to me it doesn’t rly feel natural having a CVT... also how comes some of them come with paddle shifters. How would they work on a CVT? Sorry for the long essay haha thanks!

15 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There are also the Hyundai i10 1.2, the i20 1.4 (both the 2008-2014 and 2015 onwards) and the Kia Rio 1.4 with conventional torque converter automatics.

They aren’t too bad but the equipment and styling isn’t as good as the Yaris in my opinion. Might consider them however. Thanks for the help!

I was loaned a Yaris sport auto while my Lexus was in for repair, had paddle controls on steering wheel and a sports button on centre consul, it was the most fun I've ever had in an auto, the sport button was awesome but made the car thirsty, didn't bother much with the paddle controls coz I'm lazy.

2 hours ago, J_58 said:

how comes some of them come with paddle shifters. How would they work on a CVT?

Electronics put artificial 'steps' in the CVT, so it appears to have fixed gear ratios.

25 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Electronics put artificial 'steps' in the CVT, so it appears to have fixed gear ratios.

Ahhhh I thought it might be something of the sort. Thanks!

1 hour ago, wildtapholer said:

I was loaned a Yaris sport auto while my Lexus was in for repair, had paddle controls on steering wheel and a sports button on centre consul, it was the most fun I've ever had in an auto, the sport button was awesome but made the car thirsty, didn't bother much with the paddle controls coz I'm lazy.

Yeah I really do think the Yaris is the perfect balance. Only thing that is putting me off is probably the cvt which I’ll have to see for myself. It’s all just very hard and stressful picking the best first car😂👨‍💻

Don't be afraid of the CVT. I'm driving one for one year now and really enjoy it. In the city traffic is perfect and on the highway, I left the previous manual always on 6th anyway. Mine has paddle shifters that I only like to use to reduce speed quickly without pushing too hard on the brakes as when we're too fast for the next curve.

Is the hybrid too expensive for you? It will be a better choice than the 1.33l.

14 minutes ago, JoaoM said:

Don't be afraid of the CVT. I'm driving one for one year now and really enjoy it. In the city traffic is perfect and on the highway, I left the previous manual always on 6th anyway. Mine has paddle shifters that I only like to use to reduce speed quickly without pushing too hard on the brakes as when we're too fast for the next curve.

Is the hybrid too expensive for you? It will be a better choice than the 1.33l.

The hybrid is just in my price range. I might be able to find one for around 7.5k or less. It’s just not really my preference.... I’ve always grown up as a petrolhead tbh. I will definitely look into it and the CVTs in general as I am not hearing any bad about them it’s all down to personal preference at the end of the day I think... and I am still yet to find a worthy competitor or alternative to the Yaris. The seat ibiza just simply has no tech whatsoever and the polo is alright but I’ve always loved Japanese cars. Hyundai i20 is a little expensive for me and the i10 is just too small and not rly my taste. This is all very very long😂. Thank you for your help it is much appreciated and I will definitely consider and look into some hybrids!

The Polos I drove were the most hard and harsh cars that I tried, so didn't like it at all. On top of that they have stupid things like being a FWD car with a transmission tunnel🤦‍♂️. I agree the Yaris is a great choice.

I think you really need to read more about the models, specially the hybrids (that do have a petrol engine) and to try them all before you buy it.

1 hour ago, JoaoM said:

The Polos I drove were the most hard and harsh cars that I tried, so didn't like it at all. On top of that they have stupid things like being a FWD car with a transmission tunnel🤦‍♂️. I agree the Yaris is a great choice.

I think you really need to read more about the models, specially the hybrids (that do have a petrol engine) and to try them all before you buy it.

Yeah i will definitely have to try them and see which I like best. Thanks for the help!

What's going on? I just wrote a lengthy reply and it's gone. I was asked to submit an email address and one of those tick the traffic lights things!

Plus some stupid advertisement box keeps popping up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links