Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky Brake

TOYMOTA

For some unknown reason, my drivers side front bake is now making a high pitched squeaking noise when braking at low speeds in traffic jams.

Why?

Could it be some grease or something on the disc or pads. Surely if it was , then that would come off after a few braking sessions?

I only renewed the discs and pads 2 weeks ago and it started about 1 week ago.

The pads are Mintex 1144's if that makes any difference.

Any ideas, as I don't want to be rolling up at JAE with everyone having to cover their ears?

Cheers

Jake

Sounds like you havnt bedded them in propperly. You have to go 250 miles on new pads driving like a grandad. What happens is as you break the heat from the pad and the disc causes carbon to melt onto the pad in little blobs, then the next time you break these carbon bits scratch the disc and make that horrible noise.

Now with bedded in breaks you have to break really hard to get the heat needed to melt the carbon but with new pads the heat capacity is much lower and so moderate breaking can cause what you are describing.

What you need to do is take them off, sand down the carbon bumps and they should be fine... then bed them in propperly!

Panzer

or! get rid of the problem.

the problem is your pads, now, lets go into science mode (my tutor showed us this).

think how does a human hear sound? through virbration? yes!, anyway,

simpley, remove the pads in question, and cut about 2mm-3mm off one end of each pad.

say, 2mm off the bottom of the inside pad, and 2mm off the top of the outter pad.

this will create a new *center* for the vibration, and remove the squeeks...

they will still have those *blobs* there he said about... but it gets rid of the noise lol.

and yeh, it works

Hey dude :)

Have you read my brake change "how-to" in the Workshop Submissions section?

Now it can a couple of things.

1] As Panzer said - not bedding the brakes in propperly. But this could also have more dire consequences on your discs than the pads... Get the pads and discs checked if you have been ragging it on your new brakes.

2] None or not enough copper grease was applied to the rear of the pad and in between metal-to-metal bits on the calliper. Vibration occures and you "hear it" as squeeling.

3] One of the low pad indicators was replaced upsidedown. Remove and replace correct way around.

4] Some high performance pads just squeel - it's a fact of life. Live with it. Personally, I wouldn't cut (reduce) the size of pad. It will impair your braking.

HTH :thumbsup:

I would also suggest to remove the pads, clean them with an appropriate break cleaner, apply copper grease on the caliper side, NOT ON THE DISK SIDE! :o (i don't want to question your intellect but i wouldn't be surprised to see someone applying grease on the disk side of the pad ;) ), and them back on. If they still do the irritating sound, sand them down a bit, and if that dosen't solve the issue it would be best to replace them with different branded ones.

Cheers for your thoughts guys!!

I did bed them in properly over the course of 3 or 4 days. I do 70 miles a day to work and back.

There weren't any blobs of carbon etc on the pads, and the discs don't have any abnormal ware marks on them.

I've hd a look and realised that I copper greased everything I needed to apart from the rear of the pads. Done that now, and it's cured it! Good thinking Garrick!!! :thumbsup:

No probs dude :)

I'm glad it helpped and that it wasn't going to be something far worse :thumbsup: