Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit a Reversing Camera with dynamic Guidelines

tavy

A simple and effective solution for anybody who needs a rear view camera. Solution is applicable to any vehicle.
The system is very simple, it has a good quality HD camera with dynamic guidelines and a monitor installed over the interior mirror. 

RevDisp_1.jpg

RevDisp_2.jpg

When it’s not in use, monitor is an excellent heliomatic mirror.

RevDisp_3.jpg

Camera is fitted above the plate number.

RevCam_1.jpg

It's hardly visible from a certain distance.

RevCam_2.jpg

Whole system is activated by the voltage taken from the reverse light.
The big work is routing the cable from reverse light to the camera through the hatch door grommet and to monitor through the roof finishing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing your solution. I was uncomfortable with a "smart mirror" because of my doubt that, if I am viewing a screen on the mirror, that I am still able to concentrate on using the mirror for its primary purpose. For example, when reversing now I am checking the screen, as well as rear view mirror, both side mirrors and also looking over my shoulder as required. (I'm pretty busy when reversing!!)

But by far, the greatest effort was in routing the cables, as you pointed out. I paid a professional over £300 to put camera and Dashcam wiring in place. I made my own post about it on the forum.

Tavy, could you include a photo that demonstrates how the "dynamic guidelines" work? I have been really curious about that technology.

Hi, dynamic lines are yellow ones, they curves when you steer left or right.

The technology is included inside the camera, it has a gyroscope or a magnetometer inside .

When reversing, I use exterior mirrors and camera display, at interior mirror I can't see too much because the back door window is too narrow and pretty far.

• 3 months later...
On 8/12/2020 at 9:44 AM, tavy said:

A simple and effective solution for anybody who needs a rear view camera. Solution is applicable to any vehicle.
The system is very simple, it has a good quality HD camera with dynamic guidelines and a monitor installed over the interior mirror. 

RevDisp_1.jpg

RevDisp_2.jpg

When it’s not in use, monitor is an excellent heliomatic mirror.

RevDisp_3.jpg

Camera is fitted above the plate number.

RevCam_1.jpg

It's hardly visible from a certain distance.

RevCam_2.jpg

Whole system is activated by the voltage taken from the reverse light.
The big work is routing the cable from reverse light to the camera through the hatch door grommet and to monitor through the roof finishing.

Hi

How did you manage to get the reverse camera wire into the car? Is that through the license plate light?

Thanks

the reverse camera activation is usually done through the T connection to reverse light wire in the car. What really surprises me is the active/dynamic guide lines. I wonder how accurate the gyroscope dependent dynamic guide lines are. How does it know the steering position and the turning angle of this particular car? My Mazda CX5 original dynamic lines are very accurate. Where did you buy this set up?

4 hours ago, TeamMo said:

How did you manage to get the reverse camera wire into the car? Is that through the license plate light?

Yeap, is true. The cable has 3 wires, reverse + , AV wire and ground. This cable is only 5 mm in diameter. 

I routed it through licence plate light, back door cable grommet, ceiling finish and finally, mirror.

For activation of the system I routed another wire from reverse lamp, back door grommet and camera cable. This wire feed camera and mirror display too.

I bought the kit from a local accessories store, but you can buy them from net.

3 hours ago, tavy said:

Yeap, is true. The cable has 3 wires, reverse + , AV wire and ground. This cable is only 5 mm in diameter. 

I routed it through licence plate light, back door cable grommet, ceiling finish and finally, mirror.

For activation of the system I routed another wire from reverse lamp, back door grommet and camera cable. This wire feed camera and mirror display too.

I bought the kit from a local accessories store, but you can buy them from net.

And did it leave any gap or did you have to make any adjustments to the license plate light?

I'm stuck myself on how to do this part!  😪

I took the lamp out and made a 5 mm small groove with a file, inserted camera connectors and put lamp back.