Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Radiator Fan coming on too often

copystuff

Hi just need some advice my 2004 yaris Radiator fan keeps starting up even when i first start the car in the morning, now this has been happening for months now even when its colder.

The engine managment light has been on so i reset it has i dont have a code reader to read the code. I know its going to have to go to the garage sooner or later when i have the cash to pay the bill.

I wondering what the most likely cause is would it be water pump thermostat or something else any ideas as what the cause would be. I am only using it short distance at the moment just incase it over heats.

Thanks In Advance

Maybe a silly question but is the aircon switched on at the time, as the cooling fans will constantly cycle on and off when the air con is active. 

• Like 1

Silly question: have you checked the coolant level?

2 hours ago, Madasafish said:

Silly question: have you checked the coolant level?

A valid question but I suspect that wouldn't cause the fan to run immediately on starting up in the morning, from cold?

If the water levels are low, the thermometer/temperature sensor could be reading steam for all we know..

(I always start by checking basics- rules out a lot of issues)..

Coolant level is fine, I have done some reading and a possible cause engine temp sensor or fan relay.

yesterday i started the car for first time and fan came on straight away before the engine even had time to get hot.

now is the temp sensor easy to get to as i dont mind getting my hands a bit dirty cheaper than a garage bill.

A couple of questions:   

Is the green/blue thermometer symbol displayed when the fan comes on?

Does the fan run continuously or does it start and stop as if it's functioning correctly?

Oh, and does the red 'over temperature' symbol illuminate at any time? 

On 8/13/2020 at 5:20 PM, stantheman1 said:

A couple of questions:   

Is the green/blue thermometer symbol displayed when the fan comes on?

Does the fan run continuously or does it start and stop as if it's functioning correctly?

Oh, and does the red 'over temperature' symbol illuminate at any time?

will have to check part of your question, i know blue thermo light comes on at start as normal and then goes off after not too long. Never seen it turn red for over heating but will check to see if any thermo light comes on when fan starts to spin. We all know our own car and notice when theres any issues. Had the car 5 years now.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:39 PM, copystuff said:

The engine management light has been on so i reset it has i dont have a code reader to read the code. I know its going to have to go to the garage sooner or later when i have the cash to pay the bill.

I have just bought a Yaris and admittedly already had an ELM Adaptor, but that and Torque Lite or Carista app (as mentioned on here in another thread) connected no problem.?
First usage could pay for itself.? I would never ignore an EML.

This is the one that I bought, though mine, a Bluetooth version. Wifi versions exists as well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBD2-II-SCANNER-ELM-327-BLUETOOTH-AUTO-CAR-SCAN-TOOL-ANDROID-TORQUE-DIAGNOSTIC/172794987067?_trkparms=aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190711095549%26meid%3Dcf4e3783c5584fce84bdf3c14254eeb2%26pid%3D100047%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D172875114710%26itm%3D172794987067%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSellersOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2047675.c100047.m2108