Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi everyone. I have just signed up today

Peter Pan 22

I have owned a Mark II T3 for about 13 years. It has proved to be a very reliable car and has cost me little to service over the years.

The vehicle has now done 157k. My local garage got it through its MOT in February without a single issue but I am now having to face some difficult decisions and may have to scrap it.

Hello Peter - welcome to Toyota Owners Club

• Like 1

Welcome, Peter.

.. so why would you be facing scrapping it when it passed the last MOT with no issues.?

Thanks Neil, I noticed a rumbling noise from the near side and suspected the front wheel bearings.  I took it to my local garage who have looked after it for years and they told me that I needed both front bearings replaced and also one of the rear ones. They quoted over £600 for the three, telling me that their is much more work involved in the rear ones.  I have heard that it is possible to tighten a nut a little to increase the pre-load of the wheel bearing to get a few more miles out of the vehicle.  I only drive about 4-5K per year, and I have a feeling that the catalizer will fail at the next MOT.  I am further frustrated by the fact that I have never been able to get hold of a Hayes WS Manual, apparently they have never published one for the 2003+ Mk2.

Otherwise the car is in very good shape for 157k.

Any suggestions? 

I'm sure you can get that manual on CD/DVD or as a PDF online.

• Like 1

I guess it depends how attached you are to the car...even with the issues you mention it's still cheaper to fix them than buy a replacement car surely.?..but I can quite understand that you might feel this is the time to let it go after 13 yers of reliable service..

We all like a change sometimes.

God luck

• Thanks 1

Pity it sounds like a good car for somebody if you can get the wheel bearings changed a bit cheaper.

It's understandable after 13yrs sterling service tho, but what makes you think the catalysts on its way out, I don't think they just fail with old age and usage do they?

Have you had the clutch on it changed at all yet?

Why don't you put a picture of it up on here first it might make somebody a good project.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 7:10 AM, RUToyota said:

I guess it depends how attached you are to the car...even with the issues you mention it's still cheaper to fix them than buy a replacement car surely.?..but I can quite understand that you might feel this is the time to let it go after 13 yers of reliable service..

We all like a change sometimes.

God luck

I had seen a few Hayes manual for the previous Avensis model (1998 to 2003) offered on eBay.  Eventually I decided that the mechanics might be the same or similar so bought one.  I think the wheel bearings are essentially the same but the job of tightening the pre-loaded looked too difficult for me to take on.

In the end got a good price for the job from my local Kwik Fit and let them do it.

They didn’t examine the car at all before giving me the quote for the three causing concern.  I asked them to do all four which was still much cheaper than my local garage and a lot cheaper than Halfords.

Kwik Fit had problems with the job and ending up taking two whole days over it.  At least one of the front nuts was ceased and they had to use several desperate techniques to get them off.

I agreed to pay for an extra hour’s work and the job came in at £490 which I’m happy with, in the circumstances.  If I get it through the MOT in Feb I will have had reasonable value.  It’s Achilles Heal is now some underbody rust but the car seems to be structurally sound – door fit fine etc.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, Peter

On 8/17/2020 at 12:28 PM, gezhenry said:

Pity it sounds like a good car for somebody if you can get the wheel bearings changed a bit cheaper.

It's understandable after 13yrs sterling service tho, but what makes you think the catalysts on its way out, I don't think they just fail with old age and usage do they?

Have you had the clutch on it changed at all yet?

Why don't you put a picture of it up on here first it might make somebody a good project.

I had seen a few Hayes manual for the previous Avensis model (1998 to 2003) offered on eBay.  Eventually I decided that the mechanics might be the same or similar so bought one.  I think the wheel bearings are essentially the same but the job of tightening the pre-loaded looked too difficult for me to take on.

In the end got a good price for the job from my local Kwik Fit and let them do it.

They didn’t examine the car at all before giving me the quote for the three causing concern.  I asked them to do all four which was still much cheaper than my local garage and a lot cheaper than Halfords.

Kwik Fit had problems with the job and ending up taking two whole days over it.  At least one of the front nuts was ceased and they had to use several desperate techniques to get them off.

I agreed to pay for an extra hour’s work and the job came in at £490 which I’m happy with, in the circumstances.  If I get it through the MOT in Feb I will have had reasonable value.  It’s Achilles Heal is now some underbody rust but the car seems to be structurally sound – door fit fine etc.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, Peter